La Peppina Brew Pressure Gauge Installation

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rooster81

#1: Post by rooster81 »

Hello all! Can someone offer suggestions/instructions for purchasing and installing a pressure gauge on a Peppina?

Thanks.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I haven't done this, but did learn that the threaded hole in the front of the group is an M6, if you want to go that way. See this thread: La Peppina front group screw threads.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rooster81 (original poster)

#3: Post by rooster81 (original poster) »

Thanks Yak. Would that mean it's as easy as purchasing a gauge with the appropriate thread and screwing it in to the front group?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I'm not sure, you may have to make up a thread adapter.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#5: Post by rooster81 (original poster) »

Thanks again Yak. I've ordered a pressure gauge and an adapter and will report back when they arrive.

#6: Post by rooster81 (original poster) »

The adapter I order was a little bit too short on the male end, so now I need to either find a new adapter or try to modify the one I have.

The installation is very easy however, provided you have the parts. You just need to screw in a pressure gauge to the front mount.

Cafedenda

#7: Post by Cafedenda »

Could you post a picture or a link to the adapter? I think some of us would be interested and some might be able to help. Thanks.

#8: Post by rooster81 (original poster) »

Sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Adaptor-Adapter-S ... +npt+1%2F8

I actually got it screwed on and pulled a shot, but it was leaky so I tried to tighten it a bit and stripped some of the threads in the Peppina. I think it was only holding on by one or two threads.

Cafedenda

#9: Post by Cafedenda »

Thanks for the link. Yeah, one has to be real careful with the aluminum alloy of this machine. Hope you able to put the original screw back in without leakage.

#10: Post by rooster81 (original poster) »

Success!

I ended up drilling a whole through a screw and attaching it to the adapter with a nut.

The readings I get are similar to what's been posted before; at the start of the pull it hits 6 bar and then very evenly makes its way down to 4 bar by the end. To get to the 8 bar-ish range, it takes gentle pressure at first that needs to be increased throughout the pull as the internal spring loses power.