La Pavoni - turning off machine when pulling

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

Hey,

Have you ever tried to turn off the machine while pulling to reduce the temperature? I've done it a few times when the shot looked good and it gave me decent results.

Here's my latest shot using 16.1 G and using that technique. I started the shot at 196 and turned off the machine during the pull

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Makes sense, I turn to low on the old two switch machines for when I pull. On the part machines it would be similar and keep the heat down.

JFDUP (original poster)

#3: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I wonder if it also affects the pressure. I'm getting good shots, but the volume is on the low side.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Turning my two switch Pavoni (and now my Cremina) off right before the pull was standard operating procedure. It really wasn't to cool the shot as the temp doesn't drop that quickly, but to keep it from continuing to heat through the shot. Pressure shouldn't be an issue unless you have a crazy long preinfusion. If you have a boiler pressure gauge hooked up you will see that it actually takes a bit for the pressure to start dropping.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

JFDUP (original poster)

#5: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Okay. I usually do a 10-15 second pre-infusion. I'm using a new millennium Europiccola. When using this technique, what temperature do you use before pulling your shot?

dominico
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico »

That's a good preinfusion time. Your mileage may vary with my group temp readings because the temps tend to be different depending on where you put the thermometer, but I used to start my pulls on my 2 switch with the group in the high 170's. I've noticed on my Cremina, to get roughly the same temp tasting shot I have to pull when my group head shows low 180's. I also like to grind a bit finer and do a little Fellini on my Cremina whereas my Pavoni never seemed to support Fellini pulls, so I guess every machine has its own idiosyncrasies.

JFDUP (original poster)

#7: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Just pulled another shot this morning starting around 180 and turning off the machine during the shot. Ended up with a wonderful looking shot. The volume is still quite low though, about 1.25 oz.

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

How many grams does that shot weigh? Based on crema fluffiness a 1 oz shot and a 1.5 oz shot could weigh the same, so weight is a better indicator of shot size than volume is.

rpavlis

#9: Post by rpavlis »

Specifying anything in ounces is a very bad idea for any purpose because there are several definitions of just what an ounce is, and the variation between some of them is large.

JFDUP (original poster)

#10: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I usually use a scale, but the cup I'm using is too tall. I should get my bottomless portafilter this week :D