La Pavoni Professional sight glass leakage

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
goodbyejoe

#1: Post by goodbyejoe »

Hello guys, I have a pre millenium La Pavoni Professional and just recently I noticed a leakage from the sight glass (bottom side). It is only happening after the machine is turned on. It is no big deal really, a couple of drops here and there but still I wonder what could be the cause. Maybe the glass is cracked?

Any ideas?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

It's worth keeping such a machine in good repair. Leaking seals create scale build-up. And it just looks ugly, like a stain on a shirt. Perhaps the nuts over the sightglass seals need tightening. If the glass is cracked or the seals are hardened, they can be changed out.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM replying to drgary »

+1

When I bought my La Pavoni the sight glass had the same problem for the previous owner. The bottom sight glass was so scaled up I couldn't remove it. I had to put a descale solution in the machine, bring it up to temp with the bottom sight glass "nut" loosened and a paper towel wrapped around to catch the dripping descaler. After a few sessions of heating it up to pressure and letting it slowly descale everything came loose just fine.

In my case the real issue was really old, hard seals.
LMWDP #445