La Pavoni P67 - Rebuild help/opinion

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Fuzilah

#1: Post by Fuzilah »

Hi all,
after searching around the internet, i found that these forums were where i could find the best posts about La Pavoni P67 rebuilds. I've carefully looked into craigcharity's post, and some other, before i joined the forums and decided to make this thread.

I'm opening very soon a store/restaurant/hangout place in Porto, Portugal, a fusion between italian and portuguese, and I was searching for a nice espresso machine, one group, with something special in it . After some months, i finally came across this man that sells me a La Pavoni P67 for a symbolic price, but it is stored without use for the last 8 years with the owner, probably more with the previous one, not in the best of shapes inside.

The machine is beautiful, and as I could appreciate in these and other forums, it makes an excellent espresso, at least one with a "special soul".

But the truth is I am an amateur in coffee machines, in Portugal the coffee market is as standardized as it can get, the technicians always do they're own versions of rebuilds with no original setting background, so it is extremely hard for me to get help in rebuilding this machine, or even know how much it could cost, help with technical stuff, etc.

I noticed the people who I saw posts about the P67 rebuild were in South Africa and New Zealand...anyone in Europe with the knowledge that can maybe help me out? Is it worthy to rebuild a P67?
From the guys who rebuilt one of these, do you have more photos or detailed info? Are there any blueprints/schematics for the P67 around?
Most importantly, anyone knows where can I get spares or which are the compatible parts and where to get them?
Or as a last resource, anyone crafty and knowledgeable enough to make a restoration and how much could it cost? (imagining it could be kind of not recommended for a newbie to restore this machine to everyday working condition...)

Sorry, I'm completely in the dark here. :/

I'll leave some photos of this particular machine I took from this man's warehouse.
(if someone values a Pavoni Eurobar one group non lever machine, there is also the option of me getting one for a very cheap price)

Thank you very much in advance for all your attention and possible help.

Tommi

insatiableOne

#2: Post by insatiableOne »

I have seen a few of these redone here.

Since you are completely in the dark here, just ship it off to be done with a quick return time.
If using it for a business why not buy a new one?? Make it the center piece and discussion topic of the place, known for exceptional espresso.
Just my outlook.

I'll bump the thread for you there are some knowledgeable enthusiast here.
Sure one might want to take the task on.

Advertisement
Fuzilah (original poster)

#3: Post by Fuzilah (original poster) »

Hi Tim,
thanks for the reply.

I cannot get a new one, it's from 1966, designed by italian designer Gio Ponti, it is a beauty and a classic.
And your thought is my thought exactly, make it visible so people can see it and me advertise the opportunity to taste a different coffee in a city with all the coffees tasting the same.

Let's see if anyone can help out. :)

cheers

Oakeshott

#4: Post by Oakeshott »

No help from me...wouldn't know where to begin, but that machine is a beauty. Really wonderful. Good luck with the restoration.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Hi Tomi,

And welcome to Home-Barista!

A rebuild of an old machine like that may involve rolling up your sleeves and giving it lots of time as you figure it out. These are not complicated. They have a few basic parts. You may need to replace or fabricate some parts like the bent steam wand. If you fix that it will need to be rechromed and the same for some other parts that may be rechromed or painted or powder coated. Items like the pressure switch (PSTAT) that regulates temperature may need replacement, and that's not a high cost. You figure it out as you go and find similar parts. That is what I did with a similar type of machine but not the same. I figured out many of the basics you would face in such an effort, and it was my first major restoration.

Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed)

Otherwise you could display it, you could re-sell it or return it, you could buy something fully restored online. The costs of vintage machines seems low these days but they may still be expensive in Euros. Or you buy a new lever machine, one with "soul," and use it in your shop. They look similar with exposed groups and such.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dbvieira

#6: Post by dbvieira »

Restorations in Portugal are most a project on our own where you need to control every aspect as everything that can go wrong goes wrong.

I find hard to get quality parts...

It doenst look too bad....does it work to start?

Boa sorte!!!!

David

Sansibar99

#7: Post by Sansibar99 »

Hi,
wonderful machine, I'm looking for one of those myself...

You could ask e.g. Zeb from home-barista, if he restores it for you. He is a master, and his work is displayed here: www.chromesdantan.com
He lives in southern france, and you need to add the cost of secure transportation (on a pallette in a wooden crate!) to the budget.

How much were you intending to spend on it?
Or would you trade the machine for a restored one?

Cheers,
Holger
LMWDP #422