La Pavoni Europiccola Version Help Please

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
databear

#1: Post by databear »

I think this is pre millennium. It has one switch. Does that mean it has a pstat?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Hi Robert, and welcome to H-B! That's a 2nd generation Europiccola. The first two generations are "pre-Millennium." The switch shows it has a pressurestat. The best reference site for identifying such things is here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm

Inspect your machine closely and compare it to ones posted there to know your exact model. I am guessing it is a version 2.4, built between 1991 and 1993. It is late second generation, which is seen by the plastic cover on the sightglass. It still has a metal logo badge. The switch has a plastic cover. It has a movable steam arm. You are lucky that it probably still has a brass piston. Nice-looking machine!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

I have the "real" brass version that is very similar to this one, it had the worthless polyphenylene sulphide piston which I have replaced. Yours is slightly older, so it should not have that problem. The problem is that the glass temperature of the polymer is 80C, and the piston is operated at temperatures higher than that, and under the pressure from the piston rod it "creeps". This has the effect of stretching the threads so they loosen at first without even turning, but soon they start turning and you have to disassemble to tighten down the piston. The degree of crystallinity of the polymer also increases in time so it shrinks. Eventually they also basically crumble. La Pavoni eventually went back to brass for this part.

Remove the base from time to time and check to be sure there are no steam leaks and watch for corrosion. I enlarged all of the ring of holes in the plastic under the base to increase air circulation. I think I used an 8 millimetre bit. The threaded rod holding the portafilter to the handle was beginning to rust badly when I got mine, I replaced it with a brass threaded rod. Stainless should be fine too.

The great thing about this machine is the speed with which you can get a cup of espresso starting with a cold machine. Be sure to bleed the boiler and group when it gets up to pressure. I like the espresso best with the base of the group is about 88 degrees at the start of the pull and so that the final espresso emerges at less than 95 degrees. Hotter than that makes it bitter.

These machines make extraordinary espresso when used carefully and in a consistent manner! Be careful to use good water that is not chloride contaminated.

Enjoy this neat machine!

databear (original poster)

#4: Post by databear (original poster) »

Thanks for reply and tips to you both. Muchly appreciated. :D