La Pavoni Europiccola - Ideal Group Temperature

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

I have a current model La Pavoni Europiccola, and have read through some of the great threads on this forum re: all of the temp tests and monitoring that people are doing. I understand from reading the other threads that the role of the grouphead in terms of temp management is to actually help reduce the water temp as it is delivered to the coffee, so hoping for some advice to help me minimise the sink shots while I work this thing out.

The point that I am taking the temperature on the grouphead, is just above where the 'bell' shape starts to flare out. The point I am taking the temp on the boiler is around half way up. I have some tape on both areas of the machine and am using an IR thermometer so am comfortable that the temp is as accurate as an 'external temp' can be. My boiler oscillates around 231F (111c) once it is up to temp.

Question: Has anyone established what the ideal grouphead temp is to deliver a final water temp to the coffee in the 92-94 Celsius range? (if you answer, could you also please let me know your boiler temp in case we are running different temps).

Simon345 (original poster)

#2: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Giving myself a headstart courtesy of drgary taken from "Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni" but certainly interested in what others see, particularly for darker roasts....

"With very bright, light roasted beans I start the pull with the group temperature reading (outside back of the bell) as high as 198F (Note from Simon345 198F = 92.2c). With a darker roast but not one into second crack I may start at 193F (Note from Simon345 193F = 89.4c). Coffees like Stumptown Hairbender like lower temp like that. Coffees roasted into second crack will require a much lower start temperature* to tame the bitterness."

"Such coffees do better with the internal 175F temperature Alan Adler recommends people use with the AeroPress. I would try targeting about 170F (Note from Simon345 170F = 76c) on the outside of the group bell for these. If it still has a bitter edge, try a little cooler. "

Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

And again from drgary

From thread:"The Relationship Between Water Temperature and Boiler Pressure on a Pre-Millenium La Pavoni - Page 4"

"I tend to start my lightest roasted coffees at about 207F to 208F (Note from Simon345 = 97c)on the group, measured on the side where the bell starts to widen. The top end temperature varies depending on how frequently I do the half pumps to get there. My boiler pressure is generally a bit below 0.9 bar."

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

Simon345 wrote:
The point that I am taking the temperature on the grouphead, is just above where the 'bell' shape starts to flare out.
My temp readings are at that point, if your measurement is at 9 o'clock taking the cross section of the group as a circle, 6 o'clock newest to the barista, 12 o'clock closest to the boiler.

80-87C Italian dark roast; 85-91C for Velton's peak of flavor roast; 89-93C for light roast. I also use preinfusion time of varying length, depending on group temp. Shorter preinfusion if the group is close to the cool side of the range, lest I draw temp down too far.
LMWDP #198