La Pavoni Europiccola grouphead screen dripping

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mogsie

#1: Post by mogsie »

hello all, i am new to this forum and also new to lever arm machines, last week i purchased a la pavoni europiccola millenium model from ebay, it is a used model but still in fantastic condition, obv i am still learning how to get the best out of this machine but having great fun learning, anyhow over the last 2 days i have noticed that when the machine gets up to temperature it starts dripping from the grouphead shower screen ( if you know which bit i mean ) even when the lever is fully down, tho it only does this when the water level is at or above the groove that runs around the tank, also water constantly drips (very slowly) from the steam wand when it is fully closed, this happens even when the water level is low, could anybody tell me is this normal or is there some seals that may need replacing ?, it isnt a major problem at the moment, but if it may progress into one i would rarther address this before it does, any information would be appreciated, thanks mogsie

RayJohns

#2: Post by RayJohns replying to mogsie »

Normally you fill the boiler up to just the top of the sight glass tube. You can fill it up higher, but I've found just to the top of the sight tube works pretty well.

If it's leaking water from the group head, that typically means the gaskets around the group head piston are old. You may want to replace those, as it will improve your shots of espresso, as well as the feel and operation of the lever. The machine will still work with shoddy / shot gaskets, but you won't be generating as much pressure during extraction, as pressure can slip backwards past the gaskets.

The steam wand should not drip. If it's dripping near the knob, then the seals are shot. If it's dripping from the tip, then it's probably the needle valve. The steam wand should seal with very light pressure. A very rare occasional drip is okay, but basically it should be totally dry when not in use.

Ray

mogsie (original poster)

#3: Post by mogsie (original poster) »

hi ray thanks for the reply, yes i think i will purchase a seal kit, i have seen these kits on ebay for £28.00 so might aswell do it, the steam wand drips from the tip of the wand, will i be able to find one of these needle valves in the uk, and are they simple to replace, thanks mogsie

mogsie (original poster)

#4: Post by mogsie (original poster) »

hey dont worry about that last post ray, ive just done a bit of web searching and found a uk store that sells every part imaginable for these machines, thankyou for your reply anyways,

RayJohns

#5: Post by RayJohns »

mogsie wrote:hi ray thanks for the reply, yes i think i will purchase a seal kit, i have seen these kits on ebay for £28.00 so might aswell do it, the steam wand drips from the tip of the wand, will i be able to find one of these needle valves in the uk, and are they simple to replace, thanks mogsie
Replacing the seal and/or needle on the steam wand knob can be tricky because there is usually a roll pin involved. Driving that out can break the knob if you aren't careful. Otherwise, it's not too bad of a job.

Ray

Lekore

#6: Post by Lekore »

Check out: http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/la_pa ... parts.html

The dripping steam wand might just be that the knob needs adjusting, I need to twist my knob quite tight to stop it dripping :shock: (out of context that sounds dodgy as hell)

mogsie (original poster)

#7: Post by mogsie (original poster) »

thanks for the info, yes that is the store i had found lakore, just ordered parts i need today, decided to order all the gaskets and seals for the group head, may aswell replace them all while i have it disassembled , i do turn the steam knob quite tight but it still fizzles from the tip, it was only £4 for a new shaft,
that isnt a problem ray, as i have a good knowledge of engineering, i have a background in plumbing, and also suspension servicing, so i am qquite apt and have a full workshop with all the tools required, thanks again for advice much appreciated

samgiles

#8: Post by samgiles »

The millenium model has a teflon sleeve that screws inside the group. The last time I worked on one, I initially left the teflon sleeve alone and just replaced the piston seals. The group still dripped so I had to replace the seal around the teflon sleeve. Getting the sleeve out was not easy on mine and I ended up breaking it in the process. I'd recommend leaving the sleeve alone if replacing the piston seals solves your problem. Hopefully if you do have to take the sleeve out, yours will come out more easily.
LMWDP #169

Maxwell Mooney

#9: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

The piston gaskets should do it. Really easy to replace, very inexpensive too. Make sure you put the closed sides facing each other so that the open sides push water either down or up depending on the motion of the piston.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

mogsie (original poster)

#10: Post by mogsie (original poster) »

thanks guys, i have ordered 2 piston gaskets (as i believe their are 2 on the piston) and i have ordered a shower plate gasket, may as well do that also while i am at it, just ordered some water regulation approved grease also, that was hard to find,