La Pavoni Europiccola Boiler Pressure Gauge

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RioCruz

#1: Post by RioCruz »

FINALLY!!! After about 15 years or so, I've installed a nanometer on my Europiccola!
I got it from Wily Cafe for $49.45 which includes the stainless steel adapter and the nanometer. Great deal!!!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

kellzey

#2: Post by kellzey »

Nice.

Are there other vendors besides Wilycafe?

RioCruz (original poster)

#3: Post by RioCruz (original poster) »

Yes, there are. But I couldn't find anything cheaper. The nanometer seems to be pretty high quality and the adapter is A-OK.

I couldn't get the website store to work, so I just emailed the site owner, Charles, at: nustuff@me.com
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

kellzey

#4: Post by kellzey »

RioCruz wrote:Yes, there are. But I couldn't find anything cheaper. The nanometer seems to be pretty high quality and the adapter is A-OK.
And I didn't mean to imply that anything was wrong with Wilycafe's. I know there are different styles for the adapter block. Some look like the Professional with hex-heads... I always like to compare the options.

Looks great! I may consider adding something like this for my '74 w/brass insert rebuild.

coffeemax

#5: Post by coffeemax »

I bought the adapter and gauge for my Millennium LPE from Stefano's Espresso Care. So far so good!

pizzigri

#6: Post by pizzigri »

I'd like to post a heads up:
while most of the "modern" machines (mid 1980 onwards) have the tall cap, as in the picture at the top of this thread, earlier versions of post 1974 Europiccolas and all of the previous inverted threading EP have "low" caps. It is important to know this, since using a taller adapter (...like the one featured in this thread) MAY interfere with the filling cap - not necessarily touch it, mind you, but too close to comfortably operate the cap.

Which means, if you own a brass sleeved group EP, or versions of the EP with the low cap - you have to use the old, very low profile "hex-style" adapter featured in the Professional.
Here's a couple of fast shots stolen from Ebay:

Tall cap. you can use whatever adapter you like!

Low cap, well, you either swap it for a tall cap, or you're forced to use the standard, low profile Hex adapter from the EP Pro

Well, in this case, you're forced to use the Pro adapter.

Here's an image of my EP with the low profile adapter, and original manometer. See how close it is to the cap- and this is all original (manometer and adapter were not new, but taken from a Professional, many years ago. This is not my Ultimate EP).

kellzey

#7: Post by kellzey »

Well, this is bad news.

I just ordered the Penny-style from Espressocare for my '74.

Ugh!

http://www.espressocare.com/products/it ... ter-type-1

pizzigri

#8: Post by pizzigri »

"Comfortable" is the word here. Not necessarily you will not be able to use it! On some machines it may actually touch the knob, on others it's just very close. It also depends on which pressure dial you'll be using. I.e., Wika's are taller (because of a longer threaded stem), the original Pavonis are shorter.
Ymmv. And, besides, espressocare carries the low profile oem version as well! If you don't like it, you can always exchange it.

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

I have the espressocare one and my machine has the the low black cap and there is 4-5 mm space, enough clearance to remove cap, fill the boiler.
LMWDP #198

wsfarrell

#10: Post by wsfarrell replying to Chert »

Ditto with mine. Close but not a problem.