La Pavoni Europiccola & 3rd Wave Espresso - What to look out for?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Pineapple

#1: Post by Pineapple »

Ok hey lever machine lovers,
so here iam with a la pavoni europiccola and iam wondering - for those of you who drink 3rd wave espresso. How is your routine? What do you do other to get the most out of your light roast? At what bar to you pull your shot? How long do you allow your machine to head up?

Boardpaul

#2: Post by Boardpaul »

I will watch this one with interest. I have just purchased my first Espresso machine and its a La Pavoni. Normally I use V60 with my light roasts but am keen for all hints and tips.
Infact basics would be great for myself.

csepulv

#3: Post by csepulv »

I suggest reading posts by rpavlis or drgary on "la pavoni routine".

Their posts have been very helpful to me (and I am sure others) when I was learning to use my La Pavoni.
Chris

Pineapple (original poster)

#4: Post by Pineapple (original poster) »

Anyone? Is no one drinking light roast here?

oofnik

#5: Post by oofnik »

Advice for light roasts on levers?

Just a couple threads below yours, someone asked almost exactly the same question, and there are three pages of answers.
TL/DR: Pull hotter, grind finer.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

+1. And here is my standard response for new La Pavoni users who ask basic questions about temperature control. First, the site's Search feature is your friend. Also search the FAQs section of the Levers forum. Please read what you find and ask questions if your issues still aren't resolved.

These links will help you understand temperature control on these machines and ones of similar design like the Olympia Express Cremina:

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni

Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola This gives you more fine-tuning than temperature strips.

Dalton's law (And problems from it) This tells you how to release pockets of air that register as pressure and may keep your machine from coming up to temperature.

Olympia Cremina Temperature Study, Part 1

La Pavoni Millennium Owners, Are Temperature Problems Solved?

There are other threads on H-B about this subject. Search and enjoy. These should get you in the ballpark.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge »

I would also suggest that in addition to temp management, you take a look at the suggestions here:

Pressure profiling, flow profiling, and a new rule of thirds

As a summary of my understanding currently...a fine grind, and low pressure ~1 bar pre-infusion for around 20s, then high pressure (~8 bar) extraction for 20-40s will yield a normal flow rate that would otherwise choke a normal pump machine which ramps up to high pressure relatively quickly. The fine grind, combined with a normal flow rate, will help to both extract all the goodness out of lighter roasts, while still avoiding overextraction. With the opposite (fast ramp to high pressure) working better for darker roasts and more coarse grinds.

Probably a lot more combinations you can do on your Pavoni, manual machines are really fun, especially has been pressure profiling since I've started seeing the pressure above the puck on a gauge. If you're very brave, you could consider this mod: Pavoni brew pressure gauge mod, observations or Positive pressure, PID Pavoni: world domination begins

A bathroom scale under your machine might produce a similar result, but in my experience, the weight reported (vs expected pressure) can vary somewhat depending on your flow rate. Also, relatively small force changes on the lever can cause a difference in pressure not at the rate you would expect. Most of this reason is why the Pavoni is considered challenging to use, but once you get a feel for it, reproducing shots becomes much easier.

Intrepid510

#8: Post by Intrepid510 »

At the end of the day it really just comes down to being able to adjust by taste, Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

All Pavoni's are built a little differently depending on the age of the machine. So you will need to learn your machine, and how it responds. Use the above information as a frame work, not a rule.