La Pavoni Diamante Brought to Life!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
GonzalesEnrique

#1: Post by GonzalesEnrique »

Hi everyone!

My name is Enrique Gonzalez. Electronics technician, inventor, hobbyist, and a vintage enthusiast! Mexico is my country.

I'm new in this forum and I proudly present my effort in bringing to life one of these magnificent espresso machines designed for a "concorso" in 1956. La Pavoni Diamante well known as Concorso.

-Some history before proceed:
In 2008 I planned to start a Cafeteria business; I knew nothing about this "negozio" so I was first looking for any used espresso machine just to fit my limited budget.

I had some options with some local and European brands, as International, ExpoBar, Rancilio, etc. I decided for Expobar so I went to the PawnShop to make a money deposit for this machine, but when I got there the machine had been sold that morning. I was very disappointed...

A couple of weeks later I visited the Mexican eBay site called "MercadoLibre" looking for another machine. I saw many listings about espresso machines, but I was struck by one that offered an old one that just said: "Cafetera La Pavoni, grande, funcionando" and showed a bad quality photo.

I bought the item and went to pick up the machine. When I arrived and finally saw the machine, I realized that it was a joke the "working" condition that the owner claimed; but as I liked what I saw, I just paid what they asked. They gave me the machine main body, and some spare parts. The condition was deplorable!

It was just when I returned back to home and surfing the internet that I knew about the model and importance of the machine I bought. La Pavoni Diamante 3 group. Excellent, scarce, collectable and desirable espresso machine.

In the subsequent weeks I decided to some level "refurbish" the machine, so I disassembled it completely. Scratches, corrosion and scale everywhere! Finally I placed every part in a big box and I stored it in a safe place.

Meanwhile life hit me for years mercilessly and my project for a Cafeteria became a mere unattainable illusion... :cry:

...years later, and a couple of weeks ago I decided just to re-ensamble the mess to re-sell it and recover my money. But something happened to me when I opened that box: :shock:

Suddenly I changed my mind and decided not just to re-assemble the machine but attempt to return it to its glory that beauty!

So sorry for not to place a "BEFORE" photo. I lost that SD memory a couple of years before:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spare parts. Some of them ready to use.

Some unusable parts.

Starting to assemble.

Not too bad after all.

Fake and original (cleaner) heater assemblies; both in working order.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

GonzalesEnrique (original poster)

#2: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

I must say that I don't have every specialized cleaning tool, so I didn't care about to get an extremely pristine shining in the parts. Also that my intention was not to "restore" to a quality "new" the condition of the machine, but nevertheless my goal is to get a fully functional and cosmetically acceptable and enjoyable nice machine as you'll see in the final pictures.

New left gasket in place. New stainless steel screws. Boiler was throughly cleaned by hand, without employing acid at all. High temp clearcoat protects the copper.

New right gasket in place. New stainless steel screws.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Starting assembly! :D

Boiler assembled on chassis. Left shot.

Boiler assembled on chassis. Center shot.

Boiler assembled on chassis. Right shot.

Front plate and tower in place. New chrome in main parts!

Any small-hand aid welcome. :P

First group fully assembled in place. New gaskets everywhere :wink:

New studs.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Oh, this is going to be good.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#4: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

I think so! dear TomC :D

Three groups almost finished.

#5: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

Time to continue with the rest of the chassis.

Center shot.

Note the new high pressure hose, gas inlet connector, and the four position switch.

Right detail starting connecting pipelines.

Sight glass assembly and (old La Cimbali) pressure meter in place.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Enrique,

What a great thread! I like the photo of the little boy. Is he your son?

How long have you been working to clean and polish all of those parts?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#7: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

Hi! drgary,

That little boy is my naughty grandson! :lol:

I cleaned many parts by using some sandpaper, steel wool, pumice stone/sand, scotch brite fiber and lots of water. Boiler took me two days because of limescale inside!

Finally, I used car Polish just to shine the outside of the boiler and then covered with a high temp clearcoat to protect a little against oxide.

By the way, I don't have any experience about removing limescale with chemicals; that's why I did not use anything more than abrasives... :wink:

Nonprophet

#8: Post by Nonprophet »

Fantastic project! Can't wait to see more pictures......
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

#9: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

Time for electrical work! :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The high quality old german safety pressure switch was inspected, cleaned obstruction and tested before installing. Wired to handle all resistance terminals. Originally, this switch was connected by a long pipe outside of the machine when I got it. Now I placed inside. Note the little pipe connecting to boiler.

Four position power switch wired to 1.-OFF, 2.-1400W, 3.-1800W, 4.- 3200W. @120vac. Physical ground connection added.
:mrgreen:

#10: Post by GonzalesEnrique (original poster) »

I'll do my best dear Nonprophet!

Now it's time for doing some tests before continuing looking for leaks.

I have to mention that here in Mexico I don't easily get any part for this beauty, so I had to make many gaskets... A couple of them are for the sight glass assembly but I'm afraid that they will fail because of the kind of material. For this purpose I took a couple of rolls from an old Xerox printer and installed as seals :?

Xerox 4020 paper feeding rolls. What do you think about it?

Also I want to test the old pressure meter and the good behavior of the safety pressure switch.

Old "La Cimbali" meter installed. Sight glass assembled by using a couple of Xerox rolls :mrgreen: