La Pavoni brew temperature

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

Yesterday afternoon I rigged up a simple brew temperature measuring device by drilling a hole in the bottom of a single basket that I never use, and inserting a K-type probe to a level just below the coffee cake. I sealed the probe in with a liquid weld, which took until this morning to set.

Previously, over a long period, proceeding by taste alone, I had settled on a combination of a pressurestat setting (0.85 bar) and a group temperature at the start of the pull (82.5C), measured at the side of the cylinder just above the flange, as a good starting point for most coffees. But I had been wondering whether this corresponded to the brew temperature reported by many users on this forum of between 91C and 94C.

This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that these parameter settings do indeed yield a similar result: 93.6C at the start of the pull, 91C at the end. I will have to do a lot more measuring to confirm these results, but I thought I'd report these interim findings in the heat of the moment (so to speak).

For completeness I might add, with the group reading 87.5C at the beginning of the pull, the max heat near the surface of the coffee cake was 98C; and set at 80C, it was 92.6C. It's interesting what a difference a few degrees of difference at the outside surface of the group makes to the temperature of the brew water.

I should also add that I have recently installed a "cooling fin" made by Tije in Amsterdam, and described in this forum a year ago:

La Pavoni cooling fin

I expect this was the reason that the brew temperature dropped during the pull, as it is known that the small mass of the unmodified La Pavoni cylinder does not draw off enough heat to have this effect.

WSH

#2: Post by WSH »

Very informative, and intersting.

Thanks for posting the results.

crazy4espresso

#3: Post by crazy4espresso »

Interesting findings. After adapting a digital thermometer to read my group temps (measured at the front just above the wide "bell") I'm having good results with 80C as my starting point BEFORE raising the lever. This simple "mod" has enabled me to introduce consistency in my shot pulls and has made a dramatic improvement on my results. I can't go wrong now, really. It's nice to be in the Pavoni Zen Zone.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

hankbates

#4: Post by hankbates »

I think that Pavoni should have integrated a cooling fin like Tije's into its design, if the engineers had been able to prevail over the bean counters and the marketing guys. It would have been more expensive and looked not so good, and this wouldn't have helped sales. Maybe if they had won out, none of us would have these machines that we love....
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

crazy4espresso wrote:Interesting findings. After adapting a digital thermometer to read my group temps (measured at the front just above the wide "bell") I'm having good results with 80C as my starting point BEFORE raising the lever. This simple "mod" has enabled me to introduce consistency in my shot pulls and has made a dramatic improvement on my results. I can't go wrong now, really. It's nice to be in the Pavoni Zen Zone.

80C works well for me, but since making sure my thermometry is reproducible and thanks to drgary's posts on the subject I gradually tried higher temps up to 91-92C. By pulling shots at higher temps the variety of profiles come out but thanks to the thermometer you can avoid hitting the bitter wall of an overheated chrome peacock.
LMWDP #198