Kitchen design with espresso area

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

In the design process of kitchen redo. Have included a espresso prep area. All ideas welcome.
Will post PDF soon of preliminary drawings.

Edit: Drawing added below.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

To get about 1000 images that you can quickly scroll through, try a Google search of "home espresso setup" site:home-barista.com then select images. (Or you can just click this .)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

On the infrastructure part, I would include 'Whole House Surge Protection' to protect all the sensitive electronics in your home & kitchen including 220-volt appliances such as stove and oven as well as fridge, microwave, dishwasher etc., espresso machine & grinder too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Sur ... /100127248
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

maxsvideos

#4: Post by maxsvideos »

I really like this dedicated espresso counter. not a kitchen though, it appears to be a basement/studio where he makes paintings.
from 4-5 minutes you can see the rest of the room

jontyc

#5: Post by jontyc »

After just cutting a hole through a Caesarstone countertop and cupboards this morning, it would have been far easier during the initial construction of the kitchen. So I'd plan for plumbing in and draining, even if you don't plumb in at the moment.

I like the golden triangle of kitchen design turned into a golden square with the coffee machine at the extra corner between fridge and sink. I also dose over the sink as it seems impossible not to make a mess making coffee.

It's going to hard putting 15A in for my machine soon (standard outlets 230V @ 10A here) - I might just alternate with the 15A cooktop instead, but I would definitely put in a dedicated, higher capacity line for the coffee machine if I built from scratch.

Also consider cupboard heights for levers of course.

Coffeecritter

#6: Post by Coffeecritter »

Ditto the availability of water - and waste disposal. It's a messy business. Also robust surge protection.

Our experience has shown that planning to get the electrical cords out of the way (putting the outlets in the cabinets under the counters and appropriate holes in the counters before installation) is helpful. Dedicated 20 amp circuits are nice. We thought we had it handled until I recently acquired a 220V vintage machine and now we're having to have yet another circuit pulled.

And, oh yes, plan for plumbing. Upgrade-itis has no cure.
Life's too short to live in Dallas!

LMWDP #157

redbone (original poster)

#7: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Here is preliminary drawing. Need specific espresso area idea.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

danaleighton

#8: Post by danaleighton »

redbone wrote:Here is preliminary drawing. Need specific espresso area idea.
When we did a remodel last year, I spec'd the espresso/coffee bar area. Here are the elements I included:
- Dedicated 20A service for espresso machine.
- 220v line (currently unused) for possible future use.
- Bar/prep sink
- Drain line from espresso machine to sink drain
- water line from sink to espresso machine
- Mavea C water filter that feeds both cold water in bar sink and also espresso machine
- 2 in hole in granite for water & drain lines
- Pull-out trash receptacle with integrated knock box (didn't make it in final construction)
- Minimum 24" height from counter to first shelf to accommodate my grinder with full hopper
- Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus under shelf

It works really well. I retrofitted my vibe-pump Isomac machine to have the vibe pump under the counter, and installed a drain in the drip tray. Here's a couple photos.

Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269

chang00

#9: Post by chang00 »

It might be helpful to consider this rinser which incorporates the sink. It might also be a good idea to have a wine cooler or under-counter refrigerator in the espresso station, near the new breakfast.

https://www.espressoparts.com/rinser-6- ... new-design

I noticed the cooking area or stove is near the corner; I could not tell how much landing area is to the right. If you have two chefs in the house, it might be a bit tight.

DonJuan

#10: Post by DonJuan »

Here's a my Coffee Bar design I made last year when I did a remodel: added a dedicated 20 amp outlet for espresso, RO water filter, two 2" holes for wires and water/drain line, under counter 15 amp plug strip for grinder(s) and accessories, sink hot/cold water is very important, plenty of cabinet space, outlet and USB connection under counter to plug/charge your toys. Counter has a 12" overhung and seats 10-12 people and converts to alcohol bar at night. Lighting above the bar is also important. I used four LED recessed lighting and one above the sink.

This is an open concept design that integrates the Family room or entertainment area in front and kitchen area right side of the bar all in one. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is also served on this bar, we hardly use the dining area.

I hope this will help you design or give you ideas how to design your coffee bar. Remember: this is the first place you will go when you wake up everyday and your hangout to entertain your guests. The beautiful design of your Espresso Machine and Grinder becomes a talking piece to your guests.