Kim Express shot temperature management

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grog

#1: Post by grog »

Recently picked up a pristine Kim Express 110v, one of the models with a steam wand. I've always been intrigued by this machine and finally found one in good condition at an attractive price. Upon arrival, I was pleased to see that it is excellent cosmetic shape externally. The boiler has some minor scale but there is little evidence that it was ever used to make espresso. I pulled the piston to inspect the seals and everything looked shiny-new inside. No sign of coffee oils on the shower screen at all. Perhaps someone filled it and brought it to temp but never actually pulled a shot? A '74' stamped on the face of the piston would indicate 1974 as the year of production. Seals and group gasket were still reasonably pliable. It was dry as a bone in there, though, so I applied some Dow 111 to the piston seals (but not the group gasket) and re-assembled.

It has quite a strong spring and unlike the rather challenging strong-springed Comocafe, doesn't seem uber sensitive to grind, dose and tamp. Maybe this is due to the difference between 49mm and 58mm groups? The challenge is temperature control at the group. Once the OPV is venting even a little bit of steam - we're not talking a really good head of steam as on gen 1 and 2 Europiccolas or a Faemina - the group is already very hot. As a result it does well with SO espressos but even toggling it on and off, pulling more than one shot in a row has proved challenging.

Any other Kim Express owners, current or former, with tips here?
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Greg,

Congratulations on your score!

Not a Kim owner, but is there a way to adjust the OPV so it starts venting sooner to prevent overheating? I'm assuming there's no pressurestat to set.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog (original poster)

#3: Post by grog (original poster) »

That's a good call - it has exposed threads so clearly there is room to adjust it fairly significantly. I suppose I could also experiment with different springs in there too.
LMWDP #514

zeb

#4: Post by zeb »

I love this Kim. My opv is set lower but so, pre brew is complicated, one must pull the lever before fully tighten the portafilters, or the air prevents water from entering the group.

grog (original poster)

#5: Post by grog (original poster) »

So, I simply adjust the OPV to have less tension on the spring?
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Yes. It'll vent off steam and the boiler water won't be as hot. Doesn't hurt to try. These OPVs are very simple devices. Maybe you can post photos because many of us haven't seen a Kim up close and personal, especially being serviced.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter replying to drgary »

+1 on the pix!

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter replying to IMAWriter »

Greg, just noticed what a fine collection you have. I'd be interested in some shot comparisons between your awesome little machines.
When you have time and the inclination.

grog (original poster)

#9: Post by grog (original poster) »

I'll definitely take some photos when I work on the OPV adjustment. The piston is serviced just as on an MCaL so I can easily pull it again and take some photos of that too. Rob, happy to lay out some detailed comparisons between machines in the near future.
LMWDP #514

leozava
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by leozava »

Any updates?? I have one on its way and I'm just doing some research before it arrives