Kees Idrocompresso being retired from production

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Kees announced today that after July of this year, he'll no longer be building the much loved, but rarely bought, Idrocompresso. If you want one, get your order in before the deadline.

A moment of silence for our fallen comrade.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kees-van ... 1028979864
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

IMAWriter

#2: Post by IMAWriter »

Sad news indeed (as Jean Shepard said in The Christmas Story, "I swear I could hear the sound of taps...")

Years ago, I inquired of Kees if he would consider making a single group. Obviously we know the answer. It is a universal truth that as beautiful and functional as something may be, if someone builds it a bit less functional, a bit less beautiful, and perhaps a bit less quality laden (but still of good workmanship, and it COSTS appreciably LESS...
You know the rest.

My hat is way off to KVW for producing top quality. I only wish I would have the money to go for one of his Mirage Idros. He has to go where the demand is.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Kees built a single group Idro in the past. There's photos of it floating around. He wouldn't produce them though, because of the inherent tipping risk and difficulty with thermal management.

Cimbali or La Marzocco or Elektra or ??

It's also hard to build something for half the price than you can a larger multi-group unit for little increase in production cost.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

So, do you think he will design a single group and does NOT tip and put it into production?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Kees told me that he would never build a single group lever that could be bought for the home as he didn't want the liability issues. Don't know about tipping concerns but he did mention the lever arm snapping someone in the face if it were to slip out of their hand. Since they are streamlining production to try to keep up with existing orders & shorten lead times I doubt that there are any new designs on the horizon.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

It is sad that our overly litigious society is protecting people from their own stupidity.

Thanks for that info John.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter replying to FotonDrv »

If I didn't know Kees as a very nice person from our cyber-conversation, I'd say his attitude toward those SERIOUS home "baristas" (I use that term as identification) might be construed as a wee bit unctuous, or perhaps more accurately, condescending. Hopefully, by now he would realize anyone willing to spend 5k on a single group lever espresso machine would have either the good sense or experience to know how to operate it safely. From what I've gathered over the years, there may be nearly as many of his pump machines in HOME settings as there are in commercial settings. Still, Would I sign a waiver of liability if requested? In a NY second. I'd also make sure NO ONE in my house even LOOKS at the damn machine! :lol:

As to tipping, if the L1, Strega, and others can ameliorate the tipping, I would assume KVW could also solve that issue. He is a master of design.

As Tom said, it's just a case of simple economics, and lack of a viable home market at that price. Of course, with a bit of devious market strategy, he could create a "mythical" one group , priced at xxxxxx dollars, then simply offer a PICTURED 2 group for a mere 15% more. SUCH A DEAL!! Who would buy a single group when, for only 15% more they can have 2 groups??

BUT I ONLY WANT a single GROUP, as I don't have a Taj Mahal sized kitchen.

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

Dreaming of one spring group and one manual...with a kitchen and wallet large enough...

UFGators

#9: Post by UFGators »

This is a shame, but, it is just business... Unfortunately, there isn't much demand for lever machines otherwise he wouldn't be making this decision. I would also jump at the opportunity to purchase a single group lever machine from him if it ever happened.

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter replying to UFGators »

GROUP BUY, anyone? :lol: