Just bought a used La Pavoni Professional - what now?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
robertdbuckley

#1: Post by robertdbuckley »

so...it's my first forum thread and my first espresso machine!!! I am pretty excited at apparently having bought one of the most difficult espresso machines to get used to for a beginner...but I love challenges and I love good coffee...so lets get to work. I think Ill be needing a bit of help in the coming weeks/months so please be gentle!

Anyway...that's my intro.

What I really want to know is what should be my first steps after the machine arrives? I bought it used (apparently in super working order, but they always say that) and don't know it's history. Should I start with a good clean and descale or should I get to work trying to pull a shot?

What are the tell-tale signs of trouble? I'm thinking about leaks at various places, or squeaks or other noises.

I have a Mazzer Super Jolly which i've been using to grind for drip. Is this grinder good enough for espresso? How do I start to find the perfect grind for my La Pavoni? due to the "Pavoni Sneeze" should I be grinding first a little bit too rough and try to tune it in slowly to a finer grind? I wouldn't like to start too fine and then find out i've blocked the portafilter and then not be able to get the handle down and have a blow-out!

Many questions at once...please forgive my over enthusiasm!

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

Before filling it up,
look inside the boiler with a flashlight for scale build up,
then I will personally remove the ABS base and check for signs of past leaking, and operate the machine on couple of wooden blocks with the base removed to check for leaking,
then I will remove the showerscreen and make sure is clean and ready for water to flow through
anything else can be done after the initial pressurizing
keep an eye on the gauge and safety valve that are operating properly
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

For future reference, please do not cross-post to HB; here's why. For those responding to this thread, you may want to read Robert's other thread here to avoid needlessly repeating previous suggestions.
Dan Kehn

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

I would examine various little details to determine when the machine was made. All Professionals have a pressurestat and gauge. The big variable is which group do you have. This will make a LOT of difference in how you use the machine. The so called pre millenium groups can overheat, you can read things about them in many threads here. You can always get two cups before there will be a problem. With low ambient temperatures you can even get three. I like drawing room temperature water into the group for about 5 seconds before each shot after the second. The ones with the plastic liner do not have this problem very much. You can increase temperature at the start by pumping the handle up and down before the first shot. Be sure always to bleed the groups on any la Pavoni lever of all models.

Check the water where you live to be sure that it is not laced with calcium, magnesium, or chloride. Always clean the outside of the machine after each use, because espresso is corrosive. Try to examine the thing very carefully with the idea of learning exactly the purpose of each part.

There is a lot of information on HB.

CoffeeBar

#5: Post by CoffeeBar replying to rpavlis »

Thank you Robert R. Pavlis for sharing :D