Is this glue on the group?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
funkmusic

#1: Post by funkmusic »

Hi, I was recently given a 2004 Europiccola for parts from a friend who said he'd stopped using it several years ago due to leaking out of the group. So when I unscrewed the group from the boiler, I came across this on the backside, which looks like glue. It's is rock hard. I've disassembled two other La Pavonis recently and definitely didn't come across anything like this. Thanks. Matt

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Looks like the machine has boiled dry at some point and melted the O-ring and gasket.

funkmusic (original poster)

#3: Post by funkmusic (original poster) »

Ahhh, ok, thanks. I'll try to chisel it out of there.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

It's possible that the siphon tube broke on that machine and that someone tried to be creative and glue it in. Once you dig out the old black plastic insert (it's threaded into the group) you'll need a new insert and a new o-ring. You can get both from Stefano's espressocare. Take a good look at your siphon tube - there's a chance you need that also if the old one is broken off.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

nickw

#5: Post by nickw »

funkmusic wrote:Ahhh, ok, thanks. I'll try to chisel it out of there.
Yes. Your best woodworking chisels are probably the ideal tool :wink:

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

Since the plastic insert piece is screwed in, and you aren't trying to salvage it, you might want to try drilling two holes at opposite sides of the insert (not too close to the edge - you don't want to damage the threaded brass), then thread a couple screws into the two holes, then clamp those screws in a vice. Turn the group CCW with the two screws firmly locked in the vice jaws.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

It does kinda look like Gorilla Glue!
Scott
LMWDP #248

funkmusic (original poster)

#8: Post by funkmusic (original poster) »

It's definitely Gorilla glue. The siphon tube looks fine actually, and threaded but it won't screw into the plastic insert after I scraped out the glue. I think the plastic threads or too worn, so this piece will need to be replaced. Many thanks.