Internal Lighting for Sama and Ponte Vecchio Lusso

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

In the PV Rolecall thread, Peacecup and I discussed the possibility of internal lighting on the PV Lusso to read the recessed sightglass more easily. I know he mentioned that he keeps a flashlight on hand for the task. There seemed something wrong with having to do that on an otherwise well thought out machine, so I installed an LED in the body. Its attached to a circuit board and mounted with adhesive foam intended for a wall hangar (command hooks).

I ran a throw switch through the sight glass hole for a temporary mount, but if this works well, I intend to drill a mount on the frame, probably between the sight glass and the manometer.

The LED is powered by two "AA" batteries, also mounted on the frame by adhesive strips. If I can find a way I would like to power it through the mains. There is plenty of room in the body for a transformer to get the power down to a reasonable level, though the element indicator bulb has no such hardware attached, so there is a suitable light out there for the given voltage.

The switch is sort of in the way, but not severely. Overall, it really helps show the water level more easily.

LMWDP #366

Cafedenda

#2: Post by Cafedenda »

How about something like this that works directly off of the A/C line? I would try to mount the component board somewhere away from heat and water. I would still choose a capacitor type that can withstand the most heat along with metal oxide resistors. Try it at your own risk, of course, as I have not tried this myself.

http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects/acled.htm

Advertisement
pacificmanitou (original poster)

#3: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

That would be the best option, This is a prototype idea, just to see if it is worth pursuing, and possibly putting holes in the front case :shock:
Now that it seems to be a worthy idea, Im really interested in making it a main AC powered system. Thanks for that schematic, Ill probably try that at some point in time.
LMWDP #366