Installing an Izzo Pompeii piston in the group - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime (original poster)

#41: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

Yep.Real happy. :mrgreen:
Made this in two minutes.

I could give it a turn.Made 5 espresso's and it's dry now.
I'll make a nice one tomorrow.

puffinjk

#42: Post by puffinjk »

Hey! that looks just like mine, except mine is white. This stuff is quite soft , it works great, if it breaks I will make a new one out of aluminum. Alwin , I must have had a half a cup of old rancid grease in that group head , the coffee got so much better once cleaned. Jim

puffinjk

#43: Post by puffinjk »

Here's mine.

#44: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

I see you've got a hole in the lower part.Did you need to push a rod through that for tightening?
I turned mine by hand and that did the job.
I order a new seal and ring today.Rubber was pretty hard.
Haven't you experienced water coming through the hole at the back of the cylinder yet?

puffinjk

#45: Post by puffinjk »

The hole is for a bar that makes it a little easier to turn, I have not had any leaking, hope you have it solved. Jim

#46: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

Just received my revision kit for the Pompeii.That old seal was hard ,almost pvc like compared to the new one.
Installing the new teflon ring and seal took me about 10 minutes with the new tool.
peace of cake.

Jisgren

#47: Post by Jisgren »

Just a quick thanks for this thread. I have to pull and lube the piston in my Pompeii and this info is great!

#48: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

That piston can be a real pain in the a.. to get off.
I put the spring unit in a vise(at the square plate) protecting the chrome with some rags.
I used a big pipe wrench(multiple pliers?). To protect the soft piston. I wrapped it a couple of times with an old bicycle inner tubing .Worked great.

Jisgren

#49: Post by Jisgren »

Done! About 20 minutes. For me hardest part was getting snap ring off shower screen. Used for advice for getting piston off with no issues. Made the PVC tool for installation. Thanks again for being the Guinnea Pig!

puffinjk

#50: Post by puffinjk »

Way to go john, I had some trouble with that snap ring also,I had to get a good pair of pliers now it easy. once you get in there and get things freed up its a snap to service from then on. Jim