IMS shower for a Lambro/President/Zodiaco group?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
NelisB

#1: Post by NelisB »

Does anybody know if one of the IMS shower screens fits on a Zodiaco group?

Thanks!

UFGators

#2: Post by UFGators »

Does your machine accomondate an E61 shower screen? If so, it SHOULD fit. I had a Bosco Sorrento and it worked. My Lambro was modified by the person who restored it in someway so that an E61 screen would fit.

dominico
Team HB

#3: Post by dominico »

On a standard Zodiaco group, an IMS shower screen WILL NOT fit. The sleeve that the shower screen needs to fit around is too wide. If you look at your current shower screen it clamps onto an indent that goes around the sleeve, below the gasket. On the IMS and standard E61 shower screens, the screen is held in place by the gasket.
Style 1

Left: Style 2 ..... Right: E61 shower screen. The guy on the right won't fit on my Zodiaco groups.

You "could" modify the newer screen to clamp onto this indent, not so risky but could reduce the effectiveness of the screen. You could also modify the group to accommodate the screen. I personally would consider that a risky endeavor, but if you come up with a good way to do it I'd be quite happy to hear about it. One of my older screens has developed the annoying habit of falling off randomly when I pull the lever.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

bakafish

#4: Post by bakafish »

I am also thinking about replacing the original shower screen with an IMS. Is it possible to cut the IMS shower screen to a proper height and put an o-ring on the indent of the group sleeve to fit it?

NelisB (original poster)

#5: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

I have a Style2.
I like the O-ring idea by bakafish. Especially because it could seal the rim. I always doubt that no water passes at the rim. It is a very loose fit, the Style2 shower screen.

vberch

#6: Post by vberch »

My machine came with a Style 2 dispersion screen and I "upgraded" it to a Style 1 screen which I feel is superior to Style 2. I also wanted to upgrade to an E61 style screen, but it didn't fit.

I feel dispersion screen design is a weak link in the Zodiaco group and if we can come up with a workable solution on how to adapt an E61 screen without modifying a group itself, it will be a major improvement.

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

The o-ring idea is very intriguing to me.

I would be willing to try it out this weekend. any ideas what size o-ring I would be looking for?

How best should I go about cutting the shower screen to get a clean cut? (going to try it out with the HQ shower screen before I try it with the IMS one)

zeb

#8: Post by zeb »

I must apologize as I didn't update my adaptation's experiments to you cheer HB'rs :oops:

E61 shower screen can fit on the President group. We must enlarge a little. For this I put the 2 cups basket in, by the conical side, and squeezing in a vise, gradually it gets to the right size. Must be careful that it doesn't get too large.

dominico
Team HB

#9: Post by dominico »

Does the vice not damage the shower screen?

zeb

#10: Post by zeb »

Not if between two wooden pieces.