How to remove gaskets from microcimbali

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ValeVitola

#1: Post by ValeVitola »

How do I remove the fossilized gaskets from the microcimbali! Cannot remove from grouphead nor from this piece. Heeeelp with ideas.

algue

#2: Post by algue »

I think that you can do it with a cutter, trying to put the blade between the gasket and the metal and then trying to lift it

alberto

Advertisement
ValeVitola (original poster)

#3: Post by ValeVitola (original poster) »

Thanks alberto, but no luck! :(

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

My first try is with a picking tool. When restoring my Conti Prestina and facing fossilized gaskets Doug Garrott (orphanespresso) suggested using heat, i.e. a propane torch. But that was brass and this is aluminum. Maybe others can chime in. With brass if you heat it too much you can make it brittle, I've heard. If the picking tool doesn't get it I might try running a small part of it over a lit candle and see if that starts to burn off the old rubber. The heat wouldn't ruin your aluminum part (think of aluminum frying pans).

By the way, when tightening down the aluminum parts on your grandfather's Microcimbali, do not overtighten or you can crack the piece. I learned the hard way.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by orphanespresso »

Make a little chisel from a small screwdriver by using a grinder. You can then use a hammer with this chisel and break out one part of the old gasket...once you break out one section get under the rest of it with a pick and it should come right out. I use a dental drill also for this, or a dremel, but dental stuff is cooler.

ValeVitola (original poster)

#6: Post by ValeVitola (original poster) »

Chisel and hammer it was!!!! Thanks for the advice! I was getting desperate!