How to install piston gasket on Ponte Vecchio lever espresso machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
eyalcpa

#1: Post by eyalcpa »

Hi All, I recently changed the gaskets on my Ponte Vecchio Export machine, but I ran into a problem when trying to use the clamp method, but I came up with a different way to release/install the piston. I hope this helps someone.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Ponte Vecchio Lusso piston removal - revisited offers a similar DIY solution, though some members were concerned it would damage the frame. How to Change Lusso/Export Seals: The Ponte Vecchio Way! shows the factory-approved method:

Dan Kehn

Advertisement
peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

I used a Subaru jack like that once on my Export. Unfortunately the edge of the jack pressed itself against the group without my noticing it, and when I put pressure on it I ended up bending the cast aluminum base. Not a complete disaster, but it could have been. It's been working fine for five years since, so no lasting damage, but it still sits a little crooked now.

The factory method is probably best, because there is not force applied to other parts of the machine during installation. But it appears that the jack method can work if one is careful.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

grog

#4: Post by grog »

The stability of the stack o' coins shim strategy is...questionable.
LMWDP #514

danmc

#5: Post by danmc »

I ended up using a piece of wooden dowel for my piston re-install. Worked pretty.

Dan

grog

#6: Post by grog »

Hi Dan -

Did you use the dowel in conjunction with a car jack, or with a c-clamp?
LMWDP #514