Help with wet steam on Bezzera Strega

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Vitriol

#1: Post by Vitriol »

Since I got my machine the steam is pretty wet. Seller is of no help at all.

I removed the panels on the machine, and found the 2 water level probes on top of the boiler. I tried to screw them a bit more, but they already are pretty much as low as they can be. Any idea on how I could lower the water level to try to have dryer steam?

Thanks a lot!

victoriacoffees

#2: Post by victoriacoffees »

What is your bar reading? How much does it move while steaming?
John V.

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

I'm guessing you have the same issue I had on my Strega.

Remove the steam wand tip and clean those holes with a couple of toothpicks. While the tip is off look at the end of the steam wand to see if there is a plastic tube inside the metal tube.

If you have a plastic tube that's likely your problem. With the boiler warmed up flush some steam through the wand to soften the plastic a bit, grab it with a pair of needle nosed pliers and carefully pull it out. It's not attached to anything, just shoved in there as a liner.

Now give that steam wand a quick blow and you'll see lots of steam. Replace the steam tip and learn how to steam again on the newly modified machine. FYI: My boiler runs about 1.1-1.15 BAR and I have ample steam pressure.

That liner may have trapped some corrosion around the edges, so make sure you clean that steam wand to get all the gunk out. It seems this plastic was used to make the steam wand a non-burn model, but it still burns some and steam between the plastic and the metal condenses to give you drips of water in the final steam - poor design choice.
LMWDP #445

Vitriol (original poster)

#4: Post by Vitriol (original poster) »

My bar reading is 1.3 to 1.4, and while steaming lowers to 1.15

I checked and there's no plastic tube in the steam wand.

My machine was one of the very first in Canada, and I believe before the first ones in the USA. I don't know if they made changes since they started making them.

I did change the tip for one with bigger holes for better control, but it doesn't change the amount of water coming out of the wand.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

My Strega is of the same vintage from the same vendor IDC, I think. My Strega was factory inspected on December 1, 2012.

Initially I did turn my boiler pressure up to 1.3-1.4, but after removing the liner I had to turn it back down again. The original steam tip is all I've used, so I can't speak to others.

If I were helping you I'd take the steam wand off the valve and make sure we can't see the tube from the top either. It was a real problem for me to figure out where the steam drips were coming from within the wand and that turned out to fix it all. You may not be so inclined if you feel there is no plastic in there though.

Other than the wand liner removal mine is stock, back to stock pressure, and working great.

Here's where I brought up the wet steam about my Strega.
I did it: Bezzera Strega is on its way
LMWDP #445

#6: Post by Vitriol (original poster) »

Yes, bought the machine from IDC. Not sure of the date it was inspected.

I never changed the boiler pressure, it came this way.

I'll take your advice and check on the other side of the wand, just in case.

I didn't really care at the beginning, i only dink espresso, but my gf now drinks quite a bit of cappucccinos and the wet steam is really annoying.

Thanks for the help!

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

Ha. I was WONDERING what that plastic extruding slightly out was. BTW, as it's now outta there, it actually DOES ameliorate the burn of the wand a bit. The steam appears more needle like now. I'm set at 1.25-1.3 high reading now. I flush the water wand but not the group before shots if I've waited more than 15 minutes. I clean the group around the gasket with a brush designed for that, and wipe the screen with a clean damp cloth.

If I'm steaming 5oz of milk 9takes about 10 seconds tops, the pressure will fall to just below 1.0 If I steam maybe 7-8oz for my daughter's big gulp lattes, the pressure will fall to about .85. It takes about 15-16 seconds to 8 ozs, I believe.

I may experiment, and lower my stat just a wee bit, just to see if the steam is still rocking, and the shots aren't too cool. Might save a few cycle on/offs. Didn't someone replace the mechanical gizmo with an electronic one?

victoriacoffees

#8: Post by victoriacoffees »

+1 on what DanoM suggests. If looking from the tip end, you may not see the plastic tube. Check from above the arm. I bet his fix will be yours as well, given your bar pressure before and during look good.
John V.

DanoM

#9: Post by DanoM »

If it wasn't so hot here in Los Angeles this week I'd run some tests on my Strega and pressure after steaming, but it's on the same electrical line as the cooler for my computers and they have priority when it's hot like this.

That plastic liner did help to tame the heat a tiny bit on the wand, but it made a far worse problem in the end.

IMAWriter, how clean is your group screen? I've "cleaned" mine once since I got everything setup after nearly 3 months of use and it was spotless. I do most of my flushing and cleaning using the group though, so that might make a difference. Since I learned alot on my Oscar and it doesn't have a hot water tap I got used to using the group as my rinse flush. I think it keeps my Strega group clean too, but perhaps it's just a really clean machine...
LMWDP #445

#10: Post by Vitriol (original poster) »

I removed the wand from the valve, and there's definitely no plastic insert. I passed a small brush through the wand to make sure, and I didn't feel anything. Looked inside the wand with a flashlight from both ends, nothing. h

:? Not too sure what to try now. Any other suggestions?