Handcrafted Espresso - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
KarlSchneider (original poster)

#11: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

Mark,

Your description of the experience of making espresso could be used so effectively (were I still teaching philosophy of technology courses) to illustrate the distinction Martin Heidegger made about our experience with tools generally wherein their Being can be "present at hand" (Vorhandenheit) or it can be "ready to hand" (Zuhandenheit). When I forget to put the blind tumbler under the grinder the tumbler is clearly Vor-handen as is the basket when I forget to put it under the blind tumbler and dump the tumbler /"ring the bell" and have grounds in the soup plate underneath. I am now far more frequently, like you, Zu-handenlich in getting the tumbler and basket into place without noticing I have done it. Grinding on the HG one is almost always Zu-handen unless I forget to get the locking ring fully back in place after a change in grind and the burrs slip.

I am happy to have you steal the solera espresso idea.

Chuck
[creative nickname] wrote: The HG-one and a temperature stable lever make for a perfect moving meditation. I can go into a smooth flow where I only have to think about the key variables I'm playing with (dose, grind, temperature) while my hands smoothly and automatically execute each step. The sound of the burrs grinding, the bell-like ringing of the blind tumbler when I clack its stopper against the side to release any stray grinds that are stuck to the sides, or the quiet gurgle as the piston chamber fills, each of these sounds are soothing signposts along the way to a delicious beverage. I even enjoy my clean-up routine.

p.s. I like the "solera" espresso idea. I'm going to steal that! Enjoy those ismaili shots -- those have been some of my favorites this year.
LMWDP # 008

#12: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote: Enjoy those ismaili shots -- those have been some of my favorites this year.
Just had my first three pure ismaili from this last roast from 5#. The stones are harder than the Sharasi. Yes they have been favorites for me as well.

I am also looking forward to the last of the Yemen Mokha Hajja Microlot. The latter are so different! Hoping to see new Yemens soon.

KS
LMWDP # 008

peacecup

#13: Post by peacecup »

I took a few moments this morning to cherish our handcraft before heading off to greet the challenges at hand:

Peace
PC

*note: image taken with cellphone camera that has spent one night under the water of Vänern, the EU's largest lake
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#14: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

Those look like tools one would be thrilled to use on a regular basis. Handy, as is said.
LMWDP # 008

[creative nickname]

#15: Post by [creative nickname] »

I love the way the tamper and the grinder match. You should have Dave make you some matching handles for the lusso!
LMWDP #435