Grind fineness for La Pavoni Europiccola versus Rancilio Silvia

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kellzey

#1: Post by kellzey »

Sort of a weird way to state this question... but this is for anyone that has both a La Pavoni Europiccola or Professional and also has a Rancilio Silvia.

I know that the Silvia can be quite finicky to dial in the right grind.

Would you say that the La Pavoni requires a finer grind, the same, or coarser than the Silvia?

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

I own both, and in my experience the La Pavoni has required a finer grind than the Silvia, but I typically cram 16 grams into the Silvia double basket so results may vary. In comparison to all my other machines, the LP has asked for a finer grind.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

Depends. The La Pavoni works with 30 lb on the lever and a 15-25 second pull time so tamp pressure tends to determine the grind.

kellzey (original poster)

#4: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

Thanks... I'm having trouble zeroing it in... With this batch of my roasted beans, I have a great shot nailed on the Rancilio... I'm just having a hard problem with the grind fineness and tamp pressure on the LP.

I've read varying opinions that are polar opposites.... light tamp pressure and fine grind... coarser grind... blah blah blah...

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

Keep the weight of coffee constant while tweaking.

jonr

#6: Post by jonr »

My experience from a somewhat similar machine and a 1980s Europiccola:

17 grams in 58mm equals (ie, same depth) as 12 grams in my Europiccola
the grind is just slightly coarser for the Europiccola (I pull hard on the lever)
it's critical to use a scale
tamp doesn't matter
I detect small but consistent variations in flow that I attribute to the grinder temperature - so I account for that

kellzey (original poster)

#7: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

I have no problem with consistent weight... I use a small scale with 0.01 gram accuracy and weigh the beans before grinding...as close to 12 grams as possible.

I'm using an HG-One manual grinder, and I'm using RDT to reduce static and grind retention. The grinder definitely isn't the issue

So in order go get a good tasting shot with decent crema, I'm trying to figure out the grind and tamp...

I think I may also need to be learning to regulate and be consistent with temperature of the grouphead (I ordered OE temp strips so I can get a more accurate idea of group head temps).

At shot time, I've tried several light half pumps to flow some water through the head and purge any bubbles out... then lift the lever all the way and wait for the drops to start... and then pull down with consistent pressure to get extraction within 10-15 seconds..

That shots have all been sinkers.

It's not the beans. I'm using 7 day old beans I roasted on my Huky that I get gorgeous tasty shots using on my Silvia.

So I'm just needing to figure out the right grind, tamping pressure and probably temperature regulation... I think everything else I have down.

csepulv

#8: Post by csepulv »

I used to have a Silvia and currently now have both a La Pavoni and QM67. When I first posted about my La Pavoni, I was given some good advice by rpavilis (Robert), Pre-Millenium La Pavoni Restoration (and a Thank You).

I've had better results with a single pump: bring up the level, lock portafilter as the lever nears the top, allow 5-8 sec preinfusion and then pull, stop when blonding. I've had good results with a range of grind fineness; different pulls and flavors, but pleasing.

I also got a deeper basket (cut my own portafilter); the extra headroom has seemed to help.

Temperature was making me crazy for a little while. I have the temperature strips too and they haven't been of much help. I added a cheap pressure gauge ($10 amazon) and a relatively cheap adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YVNY. While there is some debate on the usefulness of such gauges, I've found it helpful to get a consistent temperature, albeit indirectly.

Good luck.
Chris

Dev

#9: Post by Dev »

I don't want to jump the gun with any bad advice since I'm new here but I pulled my first shots today with my Stradivari.
I was previously using a Gaggia Baby Class and IMS basket dosing at around 17grams. At that setting with 14 grams in the LP it needed a finer grind.
I'm also using an adjustable tamper from concept art so I can keep it consistent and work off two variables until I find the sweet spot.
I got good looking shots however it was on the sour side. My last pull out of three ended up being good, actually better then what the Gaggia ever pulled but I think getting the head hotter will make it just right. I wish you all the success.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

kellzey wrote:I have no problem with consistent weight... I use a small scale with 0.01 gram accuracy and weigh the beans before grinding...as close to 12 grams as possible.

I'm using an HG-One manual grinder, and I'm using RDT to reduce static and grind retention. The grinder definitely isn't the issue

So in order go get a good tasting shot with decent crema, I'm trying to figure out the grind and tamp...
It is frustrating when you haven't quite dialed in the machine after much effort. But trust you've got a capable machine. As Dev intuited the factor you are holding constant -- dose -- is preventing success. Your dose is way too low unless you're pulling singles. If like me you are using a first generation La Pavoni with a double basket, try at least 16 gm, adjusting grind for that. Keep the dose stable at 16 gm and adjust the grind so you are getting decent resistance and crema. Later you can tune dose and grind for taste. Many lever beginners grind too fine and don't know why they're not getting any crema. My early Europiccola was missing the original double basket, so I am using an Elektra double. The shots are terrific. Temp control should be easy to dial in by taste. If too sour, more half pumps. If too bitter, fewer half pumps or lock in a cool portafilter and give that 30 sec or so to let the temp come down.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!