Gauge threads on early 90's La Pavoni Europiccola?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
AdrianN

#1: Post by AdrianN »

I'm thinking about adding a gauge to the Europiccola that I recently bought. It's an early 90's model Europiccola A with pressurestat, plastic protection on the glass tube but without removable steam wand.

I searched the forum for this information but couldn't find a definitive answer about the thread size: most results seem to indicate M12x1mm but there's another size being mentioned without clear info about the year of the change.

Anyone knows for sure what should be the thread size for my particular model? Thanks in advance :)

max

#2: Post by max »

Francesco's page (link here) suggests the new model came 1990. You could go to a hardware store and buy either a 11mm or a 12mm screw. If it fits, you know. If it doesn't you know.

If you found out precisely which year it's from, maybe someone could give a more detailed answer, but my guess is that it came with the introduction of the plastic sight glass cover.

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

+1

This is probably the right size and gives instructions on measurement.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ter-type-1
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

max wrote:You could go to a hardware store and buy either a 11mm or a 12mm screw. If it fits, you know. If it doesn't you know.
drgary wrote:This is probably the right size and gives instructions on measurement.
https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ter-type-1
+1

If you happen to have an 11mm wrench in your toolbox you can remove the sightglass cap screw and check it that way. The wrench easily fits around the newer 11mm cap screws with a tiny bit of wiggle room as in the pic below. If you have the older 12mm cap screw the wrench would not easily fit around the threads.

Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Stefano's description is that the older screw is 11mm and the newer is 12mm 12mm for the male thread and 11mm for the female insertion point. You can search his site for Pressure Gauge Adapter Type 1 for Older Machines. (Corrected.)
Gary
LMWDP#308

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

drgary wrote:Stefano's description (the link in my original post works but not the one where Pat quotes me) is that the older screw is 11mm and the newer is 12mm. You can search his site for Pressure Gauge Adapter Type 1 for Older Machines.
Hi Gary. Got me worried I may have an anomalous machine and got it backwards, but I think I had it right. The 11mm one I pictured is from a ~2005 machine, and Stefano says:

Older: 12mm OD
This is the TYPE 1 ORIGINAL Richard Penney pressure gauge adapter designed specifically for the earliest machines through the mid 1990s.
In general, the machines with the metal sight glass tube cover. Again: older models ONLY, the ones with the metal sight glass tube guard.
Diameter of male thread: 12mm (female 11 mm)
Newer: 11mm OD
TYPE 2 ORIGINAL Richard Penney pressure gauge adapter designed specifically for machines manufactured from the mid 1990s on, including the Millennium models.
In general, the machines with the plastic sight glass tube cover. Again: newer models ONLY, the ones with the plastic sight glass tube guard.
Diameter of male thread 11mm (female 10mm)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Yes, my mistake. Corrected above.
Gary
LMWDP#308

AdrianN (original poster)

#8: Post by AdrianN (original poster) »

I didn't wanted to pop up the screw because I had no idea what's underneath it (as in what is used to seal off the threads). Seeing that the adapter can take a gasket under it, I suppose I won't have any problem to re-use the one currently located under the screw, in case it's an odd size. Therefore I'll just take the screw off an measure it with a caliper. :)

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

That screw just seals the top of the sightglass and usually has a Teflon gasket underneath, which is pretty long-lasting.
Gary
LMWDP#308