Gaggia Lever

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rittem1

#1: Post by rittem1 »

I've been reading this site for a long time but just started posting. This Gaggia Lever is for sale locally and it really piqued my interested. Externally, it is a beautiful machine but I will admit to having zero knowledge of Gaggias and levers in general. The owner is asking $850 and supposedly it is operational. It is in the Seattle area so I would assume even if it needs work there are numerous espresso repair shops willing to take a look. Any opinions about this model and its value?

LMWDP #517

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

The italcrem restored by Doug? Should be a great machine, although a bit of a Frankenstein. But sort of like making a cool car out of a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Not much to go wrong with that machine that you can fix with a little know how. Lube the piston and keep it from getting super scaled up. Also maybe replace the pressure regulator every couple years when it breaks. If it is that italcrem, that ad is super old on CL and doesn't load for me.
LMWDP #353

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

If you want a small commercial lever at home and the seller can show that it works, it's well worth the price IMO. Grab it before someone else does. If you don't like it you can sell it for more.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

Gaggia Italcrem (Spanish Gaggia)
The old ad was for $1050. New ad placed today is $850. Quite a reduction in price 2 months.
Nice looking lever machine. I can't speak to the value unfortunately, but most levers, if cared for, will outlast all of us.

Here's another pic if it's the one that Doug restored
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

Here's an archive of Doug's restored machine when it was for sale @ $1650. Very nice looking restoration. If you have the money and it's still in working order you probably have a good deal there.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120927205 ... _4843.html
LMWDP #445

grog

#5: Post by grog »

I would be all over that if I had an extra $850 right now. It's even in my part of town...
LMWDP #514

doubleOsoul

#6: Post by doubleOsoul »

drgary wrote:If you want a small commercial lever at home and the seller can show that it works, it's well worth the price IMO. Grab it before someone else does. If you don't like it you can sell it for more.

Yes, because you never know what kind of lever loving fool is lurking in your neighborhood... :wink:

arcus

#7: Post by arcus »

If it's the machine Doug restored, which appears to be the case, I would buy it for sure.

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#8: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

doubleOsoul wrote:Yes, because you never know what kind of lever loving fool is lurking in your neighborhood... :wink:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun