Gaggia Italia, lever rises too quickly

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#1: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

So l am finally able to concentrate my efforts on the Orione, and here is what is happening...there is no pressure to slow the lever when returning back to the resting position. When I pull for a shot I wait for preinfusion then I let the extraction go but I cannot take my hand from the lever or else it will snap back. Yet the shot continues to extract after the lever returns to the top. I can't figure this out. I have the V gaskets and brass shim setup. I'm using 1 gasket at the bottom and 2 on top, and I have the collar pretty tight. The V gaskets are flat side up. I thought I saw mention of this but I can't find it. I just removed a gasket from the bottom end because I wasn't getting any water into the chamber with all 4 gaskets in.
This is indeed a challenging group head and have decided that this is the machine I want to run at the shop after all. Now to find homes for the others...*winkwink*

Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

kitt

#2: Post by kitt »

Hmmm, somethings not right there. You should definitely need 2 gaskets and v-rings under the water inlet ring to position it at the correct height.If its lower, water may be forced back through the inlet holes during the first part of the extraction.Either that, or the 1 way valve on the piston is not working correctly? More info on how you've set it up and pics may help, how low do you have the piston protuding once its all assembled and tight?

Here's the thread showing the 4 seal set-up, i have heard of people using only 1 gasket and o-ring above the water inlet ring, but not below it

Gaggia Orione gasket stack

Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster)

#3: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

Hi Mike,
It seems I read the opposite with the stack, unless I've interpreted the order incorrectly. The one way valve seems good with decent tension to retract the valve stopper. Right now I have the dispersion screen slightly retracted into the barrel. I tried to calculate on my own as to where it should be and that is how I deduced removing a gasket.

LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

jmc

#4: Post by jmc »

You definitely need 2 on the bottom and I have found that 1 on top is sufficient. Otherwise everything sits too high.
I think if you restack the gaskets you won't have a problem.
Also I can't tell from your image. but you do have the spacers between the screen and piston don't you ?

John
John

#5: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

Howdy John, yes I have the spacers in the screen. I replaced the gasket again a bit ago and returned the stack to the original 4. On thos test I had a slight drip even with tightening the collar onto the stack pretty firmly. But otherwise still the same fast return with the lever while pulling a shot with fresh grounds. I wonder if it is the 1way valve..but that spring is pretty strong....
Bloody hell my wrists are sore...
...ugh
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

kitt

#6: Post by kitt »

At what point of the lever travel are you getting full water flow? From memory it should only start to flow freely just before the lever locks in place. I've always had the piston positioned lower than you have in the pics, so it protudes about 5mm lower than the group lip. I wonder if you're getting full piston travel. or if its positioned to high, when the lever is fully cocked, the piston inlet holes are above the water inlet ring ( and thereby stopping the chamber from filling fully ). Hope that makes sense :)

cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by cafebmw »

hi tom, on the photos appears that the upper group sits too high.
also, do you have shims/spacers between the shower screen and the piston? if not or if the spacers are too thin the one-way valve in the bottom of the piston will not open sufficiently.
is the group gasket (between group and portafilter) sealing properly?
do you have the correct portafilter?
did you tighten the nut (between upper and lower group) sufficiently so that the seals are under light pressure?
you need 4 seals (theoretically you could replace one of the lower and upper seals with a spacer but you have to maintain the stack height).
the lips of the seals (they are actually seals, not gaskets) point downward.

please check out my post. it explains most everything about the seals, geometry, settings, etc.

the gaggia lever group is awesome! believe me, i run an espresso bar and i'm really happy with the machine!

#8: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

I should clarify. Today I re inserted all 4 seals as per cafebmw directed, and the piston now protrudes a bit from the bottom, further than in my picture. There is significant pressure from the hex nut onto the seals. I do have the spacers for the showerscreen, and infusion flow now begins late in the pull just before the lock catches. Portafilter is aftermarket but it fits well. I get rivulets of espresso 10 seconds into preinfusion so that tells me that the 1way valve is opening ok. I think tomorrow I'm going to test the 1way with compressed air through the flow control valve. I'll also recheck the seals and make sure that there is no debris in the stack that could be causing this new dripping that began today.
Thanks
Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun