Gaggia Gilda54 overhaul

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

This also arrived in the midst of the Brasilia project. Another lucky under the radar purchase, complete and in working condition.

David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

cuppajoe (original poster)

#2: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Started the teardown.

Two versions, one has two screws which fix the cross bar for the levers, this one has the screws on the side, as well as two locating pins.

Which brings up the question, how to remove the housing? Use a wood dowel or some such and gently tap around the bottom edge of the housing, it's a press fit. Once removed, then the piston/lever assembly can be disassembled.
David - LMWDP 448

Advertisement

#3: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

First SNAFU. The cap screws holding the base onto the boiler stand were rusted and only one came out cleanly. Will try EZ-out first, or just take it to a machinist. Broken off steel fasteners in aluminum are a right PIA.
David - LMWDP 448

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Before trying to remove the screws I soaked them with Liquid Wrench. After the first one snapped I hit the remaining with a torch in between more LR. This over a two day period.
David - LMWDP 448

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I was wondering about using a rust dissolver instead of penetrating oil.

And then,
cuppajoe wrote:Another lucky under the radar purchase, complete and in working condition.
I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that! You catch it on Craigslist, your eyes go wide and you hope you can get to it in time, or something like that.

I just had someone say they have an espresso machine. A friend told them about my hobby and they would be happy to give it to me. My ears perked up and I asked what it is. No old treasure like this! That Gilda looks like it's in very good shape.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#6: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Liquid Wrench is supposed to have rust neutralizing components, but next time will also try Evapo-Rust. The screws seemed to be 'crystalized' and gave no warning of impending failure. So far fasteners seems to be the Achilles heel of most Italian machines.

Wish there was some romance to the acquisition of the Gilda, mainly just poking around auction sites and hoping for something to come in below the radar. It did come from England and survived the travails of it's long journey intact. So far happy with the purchase. Seems the biggest challenge after the snapped off screws will be trying to reproduce the rubber base.
David - LMWDP 448

Sansibar99

#7: Post by Sansibar99 »

You overbid me :wink:
So it wasn't under everyones radar... still: good price, wasn't it?

Enjoy!!
LMWDP #422

Advertisement

#8: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Sorry about that...

Everything considered, think I did alright. Hopefully won't have to get a machinist involved. The chrome cleans up decent, but has that 'patina' from sitting for many years and still has crazing after polishing. Will see what it looks like when done but have a feeling I may want to have it re-chromed at some point.
David - LMWDP 448

#9: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Finally finishing up with this.

Due to the size of the broken off screws, a fellow at NAPA recommended using left hand drills instead of EZ-Outs. Got home and realized the Shirline doesn't have reverse, so used standard bits in it and then used the left hand bit with a cordless. After running a tap, all was good. Replaced the cap screws with stainless and used anti-seize on all fasteners.

Reassembly of the lever.spring assembly is straightforward, but a bit nerve wracking.

Ran a quick test before replacing the housing. Brings a full boiler to boil in about 10-15 minutes running it off a 120-220 converter.
David - LMWDP 448

#10: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Except for the bottom rubber base, good to go. Have been using it for after lunch espressos, and quite pleased with the coffee. Has a character somewhere between the Caravel and the Arin, tho a bit early in the game still.

David - LMWDP 448