Gaggia Gilda v1 driptray cover

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kaldi61

#1: Post by kaldi61 »

Hello all,

Have any of you made a copy of the Gilda v1 drip tray cover? Not the pan itself, I am fortunate to have that. I am referring to the circle of chromed brass (I am assuming that's what the original is) that has many holes drilled into it, that form the shape of G when you look at it from far away.

I think I'm going to end up having to make one by laying out the holes from a print (there are a few pics of it available on web, Francesco's site, some threads on HB, so I have a few decent pics of one), and then drilling it out, and then chrome-plating so the edges are covered.

If I made it out of stainless I wouldn't have to plate it, but drilling a hundred holes in a round sheet of stainless and doing so with accuracy, can be a challenge on many levels. Thoughts appreciated, thanks.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

Whale

#2: Post by Whale »

You can ask Francesco
mailto:francesco.55@hotmail.it

He had some made and may have one for you
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/ricambi_eng.htm.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

Advertisement
kaldi61 (original poster)

#3: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

I checked - he's out.
-Nelson

#4: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

it's actually 131 holes.
-Nelson

zeb

#5: Post by zeb »

Not sure if I well understood, but if you want a scan at 1:1 scale for your Gaggia I can do that for you with pleasure ;)

#6: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

Thank you, that would be great. I would really appreciate it. I could use that for accurate diameter, and to print the template to lay out the holes for drilling. I noticed the pic from Francesco's site is at a slight angle.

If you could also measure or estimate thickness, that would be very helpful also. I know not everyone has a vernier caliper (or micrometer) to do that accurately, but any sort of measurement would be appreciated.

Cutting a round of brass plate would be a bit of a challenge, but I found a company (link below) that sells pre-cut brass disks (cartridge 260 brass) in many sizes, and I may be able to get something off-the-shelf, that just needs to be drilled and chromed. They laser cut so if it some non-standard size, I could still get it but the $ goes up.

My guess on thickness, without ever having one of these in my hands, is about 3/32", or 0.1", or 2.4 mm.

http://www.wagnercompanies.com/disks_and_plates.aspx
-Nelson

zeb

#7: Post by zeb »

Thickness is 1,28mm with chrome on the two sides. It must be 1mm brass sheet.

I'll go at work with it Monday, if you feel I'm forgetting you it will probably true... so please, don't hesitate to send a pm if so ;)

Advertisement
Yoombe

#8: Post by Yoombe »

Hi all
this is my first post here and therefore I would like to post a thank to all of you for all your valuable inputs....

I had the same issue on mine, missing driptray. After having viewed a lots of pics and (G)-designs on machines
I came to the conclusion that at that time there were no cnc machines :wink: Each driptray was drilled slightly different
this has led me to following design:

Note: Outer diameter to be confirmed machine by machine.
2.6mm seems too thick to me, I reproduced it with 1.5mm brass sheet then chrome plated.

Hope that helps

dominique

#9: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

Excellent, thank you.

The reason I was thinking of pre-cut (for which the thinnest I could find on a relatively superficial websearch was 1/8", translating to 2.4mm) was that most small sheet-metal circle cutters one can use in a home shop require a center hole in the piece you are cutting out. Many of the pics I have seen of the drip tray cover did not appear to have one of the drain holes in the exact center.

Your pic does appear to have a center hole on your tray, which gives me way more options because I can cut the rounds myself. You mention that the diameter may need to be customized for a particular drip tray, so that makes it even more important to cut yourself. If I buy 1.2 mm brass sheet (which is available), and have it hard-chrome plated, that can add 0.04 mm on each side and get up to the 1.28 mm thickness that Pascal measured. That may be exactly what Achille's guys originally did.
-Nelson

Yoombe

#10: Post by Yoombe »

When adjusting the inner circles with the outer circle one hole moved to the center.not shure if this is the case on all driptrays....
1.2 mm seems to be the correct thickness.