Gaggia / Faema Lever?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
phillip canuck

#1: Post by phillip canuck »

I've been exploring Montreal cafes for the past week and documenting my experiences (a bit) in another HB thread: Montreal Cafes and Coffee Shops . Somewhat inadvertently I have happily happened on a number of lever machines, so for that reason alone it is worth taking a look at the mentioned thread. Today I visited Paolo's Cafes for a second time and I looked more closely at the Gaggia? Faema? machine in the photo below. My guess is that it is a Gaggia Classica with a Faema pressure gauge added by making that whole in front. However, the back looks like a Faema. I just noticed that I didn't take a good photo of the back, but it looks like the Faema Mercurio back (below, with credit to http://www.chromesdantan.com ) but with the writing worn off. The tray seems mismatched as well. Thoughts?

-phillip

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Phillip,

I think side lever groups like that are all Gaggia. It may be a Gaggia Classica from 1948. You can search images by that name online.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equip ... post398640

Gaggia Lever group; An alternative solution
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

zeb

#3: Post by zeb »

This is what consanguineous relationships can produce...

The frame is Mercurio, tap handles are more recent as on President. Top plexiglass seems to be Classica. Group is of course Gaggia. Drip tray is... :(

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Zeb's got it. :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Beaniac

#5: Post by Beaniac »

There is one somewhat just like that in the Netherlands.
It's part of Henk Langkemper's collection:

source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hvbean/se ... 431995928/

zeb

#6: Post by zeb »

Now with à Gaggia Spain group and a Marte like plexiglass...

I'm not an historian of coffee machines but, even if I can mistake, I have big doubts about that they came from factory like this...

channo

#7: Post by channo »

The mercurio in the first photo is original and very old because Faema produced for Gaggia early 1948 (via casella) adaptation of the pressure gauge came after.
The first generation of gaggia group was smaller, look at the difference with the group Palanca the second picture that does not correspond to the year of production of mercurio.
Several versions of plexiglass for mercurio too.
bye
Andrea

phillip canuck (original poster)

#8: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Thanks,everyone, for your knowledge and replies. The owner of the shop is out of town, so I haven't had a chance to chat with him. It has a lovingly small footprint, and it's striking in its style even as it's a bit of a hidden Frankenstein.

--phillip

zeb

#9: Post by zeb »

It would be so interesting to know the serial number engraved on the feet and body. I would have never think that very first Mercurio had the same kind of feet than the later's one.

phillip canuck (original poster)

#10: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) replying to zeb »

3434 is engraved on the front of the case.