From Scratch DB Home Lever

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jorian

#1: Post by Jorian »

Hello all,

For the last few months I have been working on my take on the "Open Source Lever Project." Inspired by the Australium. It's been a wild ride, I've gotten lots of guidance from other HB members and have gotten to meet some really cool people along the way!

Now my project is to the point where I can begin testing, so I would like to share my progress thus far!

Just some quick info on the build:

-PID Controlled Heated La San Marco Group Head
-316L Stainless Double Boilers, each with 2.4L capacity
-PID Controlled Stainless Heating Elements (1650W)
-316 Stainless Fittings
-Joystick Taps
-Home Lever Dimensions

First, I received my LSM Group from another HB Member very shiny and sexy!

Then I started designing and constructing the boilers:

Just some rough CAD Drawings (That have since been through some minor revisions):

Boiler End Plates:

Boiler Pipe:

With some help I got them welded and pressure tested:

Then picked the elements and some cheap PID Controllers for testing(Arduino will be the final controller):

Worked on the Group Heater Design(And had the part 3D Printed):

Finally I was able to do some steam tests (Sorry for Vertical Video Late Night Working):
Then I was able to construct a simple Frame for testing Components (Just for testing not the Final Design!):

Now I'm waiting on fittings to arrive then I can begin adding all the components(Safety Valves, Solenoids, etc).
Then finally do some real testing and tweaking before the final chassis build!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

So excited for the first shot!

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

I love these kind of projects!
May I ask the purpose of the 3d printed part and will it be the final product? My gut tells me that maybe the material wouldn't conduct well and might not be food safe?

IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

Wishing you success!
I do have a question: why did you choose to NOT go with a reduced sized brew boiler? Forgive my engineering ignorance if this is incorrect, but wouldn't it use less energy to heat up/maintain temperature, thus less amps? Still, being a DB, I'm assuming you might be planning it as a 20 amp machine?

I wish I had 10 ml of the engineering/mechanical abilities most folks here have.

Jorian (original poster)

#4: Post by Jorian (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

Thanks!

Well it came down to cost. It was cheaper to make two of the same size.

With both elements it puts me at a calculated ~14amp so I am aiming for a 120v 15amp machine

Edit: Also the full ~14amp will only be used during heat up. The energy required to maintain the correct temp with the PID should be less.

Jorian (original poster)

#5: Post by Jorian (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:I love these kind of projects!
May I ask the purpose of the 3d printed part and will it be the final product? My gut tells me that maybe the material wouldn't conduct well and might not be food safe?
You're correct! PLA would not be a great choice.

I actually 3D printed to test the dimensions of the part. (Fits nicely!)
In the end I'll have it machined or try to home cast it from Aluminum.

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

Jorian wrote: I actually 3D printed to test the dimensions of the part. (Fits nicely!)
In the end I'll have it machined or try to home cast it from Aluminum.
Nice! I wish you well and will follow with interest :)

Beaniac

#7: Post by Beaniac »

Wow this looks great!

I have a question, how are you going to get the brew water from the boiler up to/in the group? Is there going to be a pump in the machine?

Jorian (original poster)

#8: Post by Jorian (original poster) replying to Beaniac »

Thanks!

I was thinking of using a controlled pressure transfer... But if that causes problems, Ill use a pump.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#9: Post by EspressoForge »

Beaniac wrote:Wow this looks great!

I have a question, how are you going to get the brew water from the boiler up to/in the group? Is there going to be a pump in the machine?
Line pressure should be plenty of adjust-ability.

Looks great Jorian, I really like that La San Marco group, nice that it has the space to directly heat.

Jorian (original poster)

#10: Post by Jorian (original poster) replying to EspressoForge »

Yes, super convenient! I have a few bids out for the aluminum heating block at the moment.