Found La Pavoni (and a Hello)

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toddmp

#1: Post by toddmp »

Hi Everyone, this is my first post. I figured this would be the place to get the info i need. I dug this out of my in-laws garage over the weekend. I know it is some flavor of Europiccola. I would imagine I need a full gasket kit and to test the heating elements (along with a thorough washing). I could not find the portafilter but will look again next time I am up there. can anyone help me ID the year and point me to the correct gasket refurb kit? thanks. todd

OzarkTroutBum

#2: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

This is the definitive link of the history of these machines. That's about a 1968 - 1970 Europiccola or just a little newer. The serial number on the side of the group will tell you more.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm

It is definitely worth finding the portafilter and any other missing parts. It is sorely in need of restoration but at the least it is a source of parts for other machines of similar vintage.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

toddmp (original poster)

#4: Post by toddmp (original poster) »

thanks for the info. I will look for the serial. I have already started a tear down following some videos. stuck at getting the sight glass out now. it does not want to budge. I sprayed it down with penetrating oil this morning and will try again tonight. Once I get it all apart I will inspect everything for damage and probably get the base powder coated or find a good hammer finish for it before reassembly.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

This is an old version of La Pavoni that isn't just "pre-Millennium." The group unscrews from the boiler. It's not held on by bolts. The brass sleeve inside the group needs a special tool to unscrew it. The sightglass is probably firmly held in there by crud. Some application of heat and spit or "personal lubricant" can help loosen it. You probably already know to be careful trying to move that glass without cutting yourself. I use leather welder's gloves for such things. Do you know how to test the heating elements for continuity and resistance? Hammertone would be closer to the original than powder coat. That's a great vintage machine if you can get it going.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

toddmp (original poster)

#6: Post by toddmp (original poster) »

yes I am no stranger to electronics and have seen how to test for shorts. I will do that once I get it all apart. I have seen tons of posts of people accidently breaking their site glass so I am being very careful. Hopefully it is loosened up by tonight. Are there any diy options for removing the group from the boiler since no bolts? Anything wrong with just leaving it and working on it upside down?

rpavlis

#7: Post by rpavlis »

On the side of the group opposite the sight glass you should find a serial number, just below the handle.

I have discovered just how wonderful these early machines are! I had the high bid on an ebay auction for one, and it arrived last week.

Yours has the sight glass that can be removed from above. I think that feature started in 1965 or 1966.

I can not from the image tell which filter screen system this machine uses.

toddmp (original poster)

#8: Post by toddmp (original poster) »

well, after digging through some images I took last night (I am at work at the moment) I think I have a problem. Correct me if I am wrong but dont these pictures look like the heating element is cracked? At least the outter one (not sure if that is high or low). Are there any options for me? I know a new one is quite expensive and would not be the same screw on type. :cry:

civ

#9: Post by civ »

Hello:
drgary wrote:This is an old version of La Pavoni that isn't just "pre-Millennium."
Quite so ...

Maybe this info will help:

I have one just like it (110v), in a box and patiently awaiting a full refurb.
The element plate has an engraving but no date. It reads: 600+200 / 3C172, most probably the spec for the two 600W/200W elements.

The two switch positions read 17.2 ohms for max. and 68.4 ohms for min. which, unless I have done my math wrong, work out to be 768W and 193W at 115v., near enough to the 600+200 in the engraving.

It has a metallic guard for the glass sight with a screw at the top boss plus the duccetta is of the pop off variety (ie: no sleeve to unscrew).

With respect to it's vintage:

My unit has a date under the base, albeit incomplete: 4 MAR ...
From the photos in Ceccarelli's site, it would seem to be from 197x.

It's surely March 197x, as the stamp I mentioned reads.
Unfortunately the last number is missing.

But ...
Which number could it be?

By comparing with the photos on Ceccarelli's site, I'd say that the lowest possible is 0 (1970) and the highest is 3 (1973) as the 1974 models have boilers with inner threads + different switches.

So my guess is that it would have to have been manufactured no later than 1973. The one he has on the site, apparently from July 1973, has a serial number 3 3976, mine has 3/806 and a March 4 197x date stamp.

Could they have manufatured (or maybe assembled from stock parts) as many as 3170 units in five months? That's about 635 a month ie: about 28 a day.

No way to find out.

Here's the key data for the 1973 models:

- no serial number stamp on the side of the group.
- has a 3 at the start of the serial number, no A or B.
- has pop out 'duccetta'.
- has logo held with two pins, not stuck on.
- the baskets have a P engraved on the side.
- the spouts are open.
- screw on the boiler level boss.
- metal guard for the level glass.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

CIV

toddmp (original poster)

#10: Post by toddmp (original poster) »

civ wrote:Hello:

Here's the key data for the 1973 models:

- no serial number stamp on the side of the group.
- has a 3 at the start of the serial number, no A or B.
- has pop out 'duccetta'.
- has logo held with two pins, not stuck on.
- the baskets have a P engraved on the side.
- the spouts are open.
- screw on the boiler level boss.
- metal guard for the level glass.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

CIV
this sounds exactly like what im dealing with.