Force required to pull Quick Mill Achille lever

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dpiette
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dpiette »

I have been thinking about how to measure the force necessary to pull the lever (double spring). I was very surprised the first time I pulled on the spring, so I wanted to find out just how hard it is.

So, with my trusty digital bathroom scale, and what I remember from my statics class back in 1976 (Statics hasn't changed since then, right?) I figured I could weigh myself holding the lever right before it locks down into the pre-infusion position, and then just weigh myself.

Without sharing the absolute numbers, the difference is 34.5 pounds.

I would be curious what the numbers are for the Strega, Londinium, or other spring loaded lever machines.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Brilliant idea (and a nice way to lose weight quickly).

I got a range running from 20 to 25 pounds on the Strega, depending at what angle I measured. The higher readings came at 90 degrees rather than at the full compression. There may also be differences in lever length and/or fulcrum position.
Jim Schulman

galumay

#3: Post by galumay »

dpiette wrote: Without sharing the absolute numbers, the difference is 34.5 pounds.
You could make the absolute numbers up and impress us with your lean, fit frame!
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

Dan:

Good thinking on obtaining that number for lever force!! Kudos for creative thinking, you would think the Quickmill company would provide that as an important number. Looks like I will have to head over the gym and try pulling some shots :lol:

Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

another_jim wrote: I got a range running from 20 to 25 pounds on the Strega, depending at what angle I measured. The higher readings came at 90 degrees rather than at the full compression. There may also be differences in lever length and/or fulcrum position.
Not to mention bathroom scale accuracy. My highest reading for the Strega was 28lbs registered at the very beginning of the pull.
LMWDP 267