bootcampbarista.com: master the craft like never before

Force required to pull Quick Mill Achille lever

Postby dpiette on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:47 am

I have been thinking about how to measure the force necessary to pull the lever (double spring). I was very surprised the first time I pulled on the spring, so I wanted to find out just how hard it is.

So, with my trusty digital bathroom scale, and what I remember from my statics class back in 1976 (Statics hasn't changed since then, right?) I figured I could weigh myself holding the lever right before it locks down into the pre-infusion position, and then just weigh myself.

Without sharing the absolute numbers, the difference is 34.5 pounds.

I would be curious what the numbers are for the Strega, Londinium, or other spring loaded lever machines.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics
dpiette

Postby another_jim on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Brilliant idea (and a nice way to lose weight quickly).

I got a range running from 20 to 25 pounds on the Strega, depending at what angle I measured. The higher readings came at 90 degrees rather than at the full compression. There may also be differences in lever length and/or fulcrum position.
another_jim
Team HB

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project

Postby galumay on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:07 pm

dpiette wrote:Without sharing the absolute numbers, the difference is 34.5 pounds.

You could make the absolute numbers up and impress us with your lean, fit frame!
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.
galumay

Postby FotonDrv on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Dan:

Good thinking on obtaining that number for lever force!! Kudos for creative thinking, you would think the Quickmill company would provide that as an important number. Looks like I will have to head over the gym and try pulling some shots :lol:

Stephen
LMWDP #417. Where are we going, and why am I in this HANDBASKET???
FotonDrv

Postby JohnB. on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 am

another_jim wrote:I got a range running from 20 to 25 pounds on the Strega, depending at what angle I measured. The higher readings came at 90 degrees rather than at the full compression. There may also be differences in lever length and/or fulcrum position.

Not to mention bathroom scale accuracy. My highest reading for the Strega was 28lbs registered at the very beginning of the pull.
LMWDP 267
JohnB.