Faema President-user input and troubleshooting - Page 5

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
phillip canuck (original poster)

#41: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

dmccallum wrote:Key when ordering parts for these machines is to shop, shop & shop around.
Best wait till you get the boiler apart with lids off for a proper inspection.

Here's a couple pics of the boiler lids I mentioned above, pre & post plating.
It can be difficult to know the extent of the damage until you get the things apart. In this case most of the factory plating had come off and after I've put an abrasive over it and the extent of dezincification is clearer (the copper colored areas). Dezincification causes the affected metal to become porous and weak, hence cracking around flanges and folds when you put tension on it. The solder spots are where I have silver-brazed pin hole leaks where little craters had appeared.
I'll have the boiler lids off later today (I hope). What did you use to clean out the boiler? I've always used citric acid. The photos are very helpful - thank you.

#42: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Mouldy wrote:Howdy, I purchased a spare boiler end plate for one of my Faemas (12 hole type) from Ascaso; which from memory cost around 85 Euro. This was the end plate that the element bolts to. The end ring half loops and full loop (aluminium) were very cheap from them also.

I contacted Ascaso yesterday and hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I've always used a third person to place my order through Ascaso - but I don't know if that option is still available. I also don't know if Ascaso will allow me to order directly. I'll soon find out.

-phillip

Advertisement
dominico
Team HB

#43: Post by dominico »

I have wanted to order some stuff from Ascaso Factory a while back, but they seemed excluively B 2 B. Every once in a while exploded parts diagrams from their catalog show up while I am looking for info on vintage machines.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

dmccallum

#44: Post by dmccallum replying to dominico »

Ascaso are B2B. Same for De Vecchi Giuseppe SRL and others.

Chisko will deal direct albeit with a markup but not as bas as some I have seen.
http://www.chisko.com/prodotto-171764/F ... TENZA.aspx

#45: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

While waiting to find out about Ascaso....

How do I remove these bolts, or otherwise remove the end plates? Do I knock out the fasteners with a hammer? There isn't enough of a head n each of these to use a wrench and I'm assuming that I don't pry them apart.

macgaggia

#46: Post by macgaggia »

phillip, go easy. you dont want to breack the aluminum rings.
check out my restauration of a president single group here:
http://macernst.zenfolio.com/p506780238
picture 58 and 59 shows a safe way to do it.
you will have to go every step i did. just check the pictures.
phillip, i still feel i own you something. i am shure in this shelfs there are the right parts.
but it will not be here tomorrow, all stuff is in germany.
ernst

LMWDP #059

#47: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

macgaggia wrote:phillip, go easy. you dont want to breack the aluminum rings.
check out my restauration of a president single group here:
http://macernst.zenfolio.com/p506780238
picture 58 and 59 shows a safe way to do it.
you will have to go every step i did. just check the pictures.
phillip, i still feel i own you something. i am shure in this shelfs there are the right parts.
but it will not be here tomorrow, all stuff is in germany.
ernst
WoW- Ernst! That's going to be a fantastic resource for me. Thank you!
Too bad neither one of us are in Germany - I would love to go through that room of yours!

As for pictures 58-60, I suppose the first question is: How did you get started? I see you inserted two new bolts, which means that you had to get to old ones out. Do I assume correctly that I *should* be able to fit a socket onto the head of each one of these?

What about using locking pliers to turn the bolts from the threads? Any dangers there? I suppose I could damage the threads.

Thanks for the reminder to be safe - it's at the forefront of my thoughts.

-phillip

Advertisement
Paul_Pratt

#48: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Ernt's method looks great. If it does not budge you may be able to wiggle the bolt first using vice grips or the double nut method to break the rust and corrosion. Once it can wiggle use the way Ernst did it will move out.

Those rings are delicate, of course they are available new but where is the fun in that.

I would also replace both end plates, I purchased Ascaso ones recently and the quality was surprisingly superb. Ascaso is hit and miss.

macgaggia

#49: Post by macgaggia »

As for pictures 58-60, I suppose the first question is: How did you get started? I see you inserted two new bolts, which means that you had to get to old ones out. Do I assume correctly that I *should* be able to fit a socket onto the head of each one of these?
no, the new things you see are just some nuts that i used for distance pieces to press the bolt out, the inner ring that faces the boiler is casted for a hex bolt head, see picture 98 so dont try to turn the bolt, it will break the cast. first you have to move and force the bolt backwards, than you can try to turn it and get it out.
the problem is there are 3 different materials involved.
aluminum
copper from the boiler and boiler cap
steel bolt
so moisture, heat and different material charcter will kind of weld them together.
you should feel very lucky that all? nuts got off the bolts.
its not about to save the bolts, its about to save the rings and to avoid the damage on the boiler cups and the boiler.
sorry for my english.
but you can always call me.
ernst
LMWDP #059

zeb

#50: Post by zeb »

When it is really too hard I remove the boiler to end plate gasket breaking it with a screwdriver and a hammer. I cut the bolts with a hacksaw to remove the rings. And then I use the same method than Ernst to remove the pieces of bolt ;)