Faema Faemina Tips and Tricks

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Still working my way around the Faemina, but still not quite there yet.

Hoping that folks with experience can offer some general guidelines in getting the most out of it. Have done quite a bit of research and hoping for some consensus. One thing I've run across is references that it doesn't seem to produce much crema, which I can live with as the coffee has been tasty so far. Can anyone confirm this, or debunk it?

Thanks for any and all insight.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

grog

#2: Post by grog »

It can produce as much crema as other levers when you hit just the right grind/dose combo. I've also found that assisting the lever on the way up can result in better shots. Contrary to conventional wisdom I also pull shots with the high element still on, but I never pull multiple shots in one session so overheating the group is not a concern for me.

I do 14g in a double Pavoni 51mm basket, with a grind slightly coarser than I use on my Pavoni. I do a couple of quick group flushes, lock in the PF, pull just enough to pre-infuse, hold for a count of ten, then pull all the way down and once the lever starts to rise, I push it up and find that yields richer shots. I discovered that by accident on a slightly choked shot and kept doing it once I had the grind better dialed in.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
DJF

#3: Post by DJF »

After I restored my Faemina the best results came after I purchased a gauge from OE that fits on the steam wand and calibrated the pressurestat (valve) on the lid so it would blow off at about .9 bar. It can be a ferocious steamer producing creamy foam and I found multiple shots were possible by toggling the power on and off between. It has a steam punker attitude and fires up in a flash both before and after the first shot.

I think it's the closest thing you'll find to a commercial feel in a home machine.

Keep an eye on the safety valve on the steam valve as you have to make your own membrane out of foil if its missing. If it's too thick it wont work and too thin will see it constantly blowing off.

Enjoy!
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

cuppajoe (original poster)

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks guys.

I have adjusted the relief valve to about .5 bar, as per Doug, so will try upping it to .9 and see what happens. At .5 there seems to be a lot of water force both during pre infusion and the pull.

I have a couple Pavoni baskets, will give them a go. The basket that came with the machine seems to allow a lot of coffee blow-by around the screen. Will also see what going coarser on the grind does.

Have been playing with the Fellini technique, so will try the lever assist method as well.
David - LMWDP 448

grog

#5: Post by grog »

I had to replace the elements in mine, and the guy in Germany I got them from offered some rebuild tips - he also noted that .5 bar is optimal. I have found the Faemina to be relatively fussy about grind, dose, and tamp so it's somewhat challenging to determine figure out what variables to adjust. I have preferred the shots with the OPV cranked all the way down, which is again contrary to conventional wisdom.
LMWDP #514

DJF

#6: Post by DJF »

cuppajoe wrote:Thanks guys.

I have adjusted the relief valve to about .5 bar, as per Doug, so will try upping it to .9 and see what happens. At .5 there seems to be a lot of water force both during pre infusion and the pull.

I have a couple Pavoni baskets, will give them a go. The basket that came with the machine seems to allow a lot of coffee blow-by around the screen. Will also see what going coarser on the grind does.

Have been playing with the Fellini technique, so will try the lever assist method as well.
I'll stand corrected on the .9 bar. It's been a while since I did it and .5 now sounds more like it. Sorry about that.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

#7: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks Dr.

Will concentrate on grind/dose/tamp now. As well as pre-infusion/post-infusion and the Fellini move. From what I gather, a cooling/heating flush may not be desirable.

Maybe the thing is to just play with it and enjoy the result, whatever that may be. it is Italian after all, and one of my favorite films is 8 1/2.
David - LMWDP 448

Advertisement

#8: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Things are improving. So far it seems that a 14gm dose with a moderate tamp, along wit a 10 count at the pre-infusion, seems to work the best. Beans are roasted to full city/city+. I picked up a vintage De Ve box grinder to use as a dedicated grinder for the Faemina. Will see how it goes after I get it cleaned up and adjusted.
David - LMWDP 448

grog

#9: Post by grog »

As a reference point, I've had success with a grind somewhat coarser than what I use with my Pavoni.
LMWDP #514

#10: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Have noticed that as well, the results have been getting better lately. The DeVe is coming together and hope to be trying it fairly soon. Bouncing back and forth between the Anita and the Faemina with the same grinder is getting old.

Now know why some folks have a bank of the things.
David - LMWDP 448