Faema Faemina lever catch a bit higher

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ilker

#1: Post by ilker »

Hi Friends,

I am still trying to learn the Faemina. When I use single basket, the lever catch at the bottom and it feels normal. But during double shots, the lever catch at higher level. Is it a sign of air in the group? I wait a little and re-cock, but seems it doesn't help. How can I get rid of it? Any ideas?
Thanks

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I don't understand what you mean with 'catch', the distance the lever and piston travel is not affected by the filter basket which is sitting below the showerscreen...
LMWDP #483

grog

#3: Post by grog »

By 'catch', do you mean the point at which the lever travel is clearly being retarded by significant resistance against pressure? I'm taking this to mean that with all other variables being equal, you find the lever slows upward travel much sooner in its upward arc with the single basket relative to the double basket.

All I can tell you is that single baskets are easier to choke levers with. Others are much more qualified than I to explain the physics therein.
LMWDP #514

ilker (original poster)

#4: Post by ilker (original poster) »

Thank you for the replies.

When I pull the lever down, i wait a little for preinfusion, then slowly release it. With single basket, I feel the pressure very soon. With double basket, the lever continue to go up more distance without any pressure. Its almost almost 35-40% of total distance until it catches (start to feel the pressure)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Are you waiting longer to pre-infuse the double?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ilker (original poster)

#6: Post by ilker (original poster) »

I also tested different preinfusion times but it doesn't make any change.

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

You may be looking at something like more air in the double basket, I normally pre infuse for aprox ten seconds using the gommino (very light pressure on the lever is enough) then do a full pull and wait until the first drops show in the cup and then push the lever gently down again and wait for five more seconds and release it.

BTW: What is the weight of your double shot anyway, if that's OK I would not worry at all.
LMWDP #483

ilker (original poster)

#8: Post by ilker (original poster) »

I use 14gr of coffee and try to get around 40-42gr of output with 2 pulls.
I like the result but just wanted to double check if i am doing anything wrong.

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

If I do my usual routine a 14g dose gets me a normal Italian style double, so ai guess all is in the green. The difference may just be that there is more volume of water going into the coffee. Anyway, only a video would be informative enough to say something more definitive and the ultimate test is taste...taste is king :D
LMWDP #483

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by DucaiMann »

So, I just finished restoring my first Faema and had the same trouble a couple of times. Especially when sealing the unit and allowing the pressure to build up a bit. I followed some instruction from a few others, letting the opv open up, turn the machine on low power, and letting it sit for a minute.

Pulling down on the lever after a VERY light pull for preinfusion didn't disperse more than a few grams of coffee. The lever would not engage (as though it was forcing water through the coffee) until the very end of the lever pull. A second time down and more coffee came out, but by that time, the shot becomes over extracted.

Any thoughts?