Enrico dubious first lever, will it make espresso?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Gus

#1: Post by Gus »

Bought it unresearched off C list. Should have known better. A cursory search of this forum shows more than one "run away" post. Oh well now I have it and for better or worse I am resolved to try to use it.

Sorry I don't have pics. But this is what it looks like Bought an Enrico on Ebay and regretting it

It did not come with a filter basket which may be a plus. You see the scale of it is a little weird. The portafilter measures like 72mm, suffice to say it is huge and must hold 30 or more grams of coffee.

The machine has a serious design flaw it has an aluminum piston inside the brass brew head, so it just corrodes like crazy. The one I got was no exception. The piston was seized, upon removal I found it was totally corroded. At this point and after reading a few posts I thought maybe its just a counter ornament. But I really want to enjoy spring lever espresso, and there are some interesting things going on here, that I might want to play with. You see the piston chamber is right at 58mm and looks like it holds about 3oz. so I'm thinking one pull = volumes in 1.5 to 2 oz range. Also it has a switch to go between brew and steam, which makes me wonder if it will tolerate being left on without overshooting the brew temp, but it also makes me wonder where the pressure comes from to fill the cylinder. This I will not know until I get it reassembled.

I decided to go ahead and have one of the machinists at work take a look at making a new piston out of stainless, and an adapter ring to allow it to fit a 58mm portafilter and gasket. Once this is completed I can see what I really have. I know that it heats up to both brew and steam temp so the electronics appear in working order. The switch between brew and steam seems more like a volume knob than a toggle switch. Perhaps it is variable.

One question I have for other lever users and something that sort of concerns me is how thin the wall is on the brew chamber. Is it thicker that 1/8 inch on other home levers?

Well that's my first lever post wish me luck.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Before you start that project, what will it cost you in time and expense? Is it worth applying those to this machine or selling it, even at a loss, and starting with a better project machine?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Gus (original poster)

#3: Post by Gus (original poster) »

I'm pretty sure the guy at work is going to do it for some beer.
I am by no means defending this machine, what does a different machine offer that this one dose not, other than the obvious fabricating custom parts? Is it just quality of components? Essentially I am working from the basic idea that if it has a sealed piston chamber, a working boiler, and can be mated to a filter basket something should come out espresso like. If it is no good meh. I will look to something else.

Since it has no filter basket it is essentially useless and I would feel bad pawning it off on someone. More of a live and learn or maybe I told you so.

I am very interested in lever espresso but the smallish volumes are unreasonably and unshakably bothersome to me. I don't know why. Some people don't like clowns and they don't know why either.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

It's a hobby, so why not?
Gus wrote:I am very interested in lever espresso but the smallish volumes are unreasonably and unshakably bothersome to me. I don't know why. Some people don't like clowns and they don't know why either.
That's another very good argument for getting it working. And who knows? You'll probably get this one working. Usually I like larger shots too except for when I want the taste of espresso and a little pick me up instead of a big caffeine blast. But that's just me and it makes the Caravel one of my favorites.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

(Plus the Caravel is an exquisitely executed exercise in industrial design. It comes apart without tools, is made with quality materials, and looks great. And who needs milk, anyway? :wink: )

I hope the Enrico can be fixed with some new parts. Sounds like a fun project, regardless.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Ironically, I've heard of a very few Caravels with aluminum pistons. Fortunately most are stainless. But back OT.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Run2Joe

#7: Post by Run2Joe »

I, too am the owner of an Enrico. It is sitting in my garage, waiting for time and inclination for a project. If your guy at work actually gets around to making parts for you, perhaps he could make a couple of them, and we could swap parts for coffee or something. That would certainly jumpstart the project. In taking it apart, I observed that it must have cost as much to manufacture as one that would work-frustrating.:mrgreen:

Advertisement
peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

Someone once made a lamp out of one....
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

aaronmaestri

#9: Post by aaronmaestri »

i have one of these machines and have produced an espresso like drink with it. This machine has its negatives but its better than nothing and in my opinion better than most low end pump espresso machines out there.
If you have the resources to machine a new piston head then I say go for it. One thing you might want to think about if you are making a new head is finding some U cup seals and machine the recesses in the head to fit them rather than using thick orings as the seals. Id be interested in buying a new ss piston if your workmate wants a little extra beer money.

danaleighton

#10: Post by danaleighton »

peacecup wrote:Someone once made a lamp out of one....
In the inimitable words of The Old Man Parker (Darren McGavin) in A Christmas Story: "Aaah! 'Fra-GEE-leh'! It must be Italian!
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269