Elektra Microcasa a Leva keeps overheating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
andpgud

#1: Post by andpgud »

Hello guys.
I have been having problems with my Mcal.
The pressure just keeps building up.
I descaled it with vinegar diluted to 4.5%
Started it and the pressure just keeps going up.
I dont know if the gauge is broken, but when no pressure is it is in 1.5 bar, but when I heated the machine it just kept going and going.
I bought it this way, but want to get it working

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#2: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

So, to clarify, you mean that when the machine is switched off and cold the gauge reads 1.5 bar? Also, you most likely need to either clear the pipe that connects to the pressurestat, or the flexible membrane in the pressurestat needs replacement. Do post some pics so that we can try to help you more easily.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

andpgud (original poster)

#3: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

I will get some pictures tomorrow.
It got pretty scary today. The gauge was showing like 3.5 bars :O

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Be careful, please. Until you figure this out I wouldn't leave it one unattended and would shut it down if it gets too high.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul replying to drgary »

Yes, be careful. That is way too much pressure - anything in the red is for the MCAL. You might need to have a look at the pstat contacts which will tell you if you need to replace the pstat or not (which I think you will).

day

#6: Post by day »

If it is reading 1.5 bar at 0, there has to be a good chance the gauge is simply broken. I say buy a cheapo gauge of amazon to test it out and see if you just need to invest in a nicer gauge or replace other parts
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#7: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

So if the machine would be working. How high will the needle go?

summer

#8: Post by summer »

Typically around 0.8-1.0 bar

#9: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

So I managed to clean and descale the machine. Looks pretty clean when looking inside.
Also I cleaned the pressure cap. The ball was pretty stuck.

This is when cold

This is when it warms up

And it just keeps going and going

rpavlis

#10: Post by rpavlis »

Pressure gauges sometimes get "messed up" on machines without a vacuum relief. One can read pressure through the steam wand, however note that its thread is M6x0.75, not M6x1.0, should you try to connect a gauge in place of the steam tip. Gauges are also available with tubing that can be slipped over steam tips.

Elektra provides stern warnings about water quality with their new machines, because the design does not tolerate water impurities. They refuse to honour guarantees when failure results from ignoring the warnings that they supply. Impurities can lead to severe pitting of the upper part of the group that can render it useless. You could have deposits in the tube leading to the pressurestat if low quality water were used in this machine.

It is difficult to observe the inside of the MCAL boilers because the cap is small, but you can get a special light manufactured for fire arms enthusiasts that is designed to help them look down barrels of rifles and shotguns.

Remember you have a bomb when both the pressurestat and pressure relief valve fail! This is a very serious matter!