Elektra Microcasa a Leva - how to remove sightglass?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jeffg2020

#1: Post by jeffg2020 »

There's some unsightly debris in the sightglass of my Micro Casa. Looks like a dead bug but never mind. Is there a video anywhere of someone taking it out & replacing? (The sightglass, not the bug, tho actually that too.) The parts diagram shows a number of small gaskets/washers, so I don't want to muck it up.

Also the main nut that holds it is on very firmly. Use a wrench cushioned w/ a towel so as not to mark up the brass?

Thx!

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

Assuming that you have a post 1982 with the removable half sightglass covers,

you will need to remove the two covers half (with a C-clip ring pliers) spreading them enough to seat on the little groove of the nuts
remove the gauge and the gauge fitting,
loosen the 2 nuts, the washer and the sightglass gasket will stay in place of now,
then grab the sightglass with your fingers and push it right out from the top hole,
if the sightglass is stubborn try with a pair of pliers and some cloth of rubber for padding to slightly twist it so it might un-stuck it self)

ultimately if nothing and any other possible method will not work you will need to break it in the middle and remove the pieces.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

jeffg2020 (original poster)

#3: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. J

#4: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) »

I'm having trouble finding this tool. Any chance you can post a pic of a C-clip pliers?

pjrjazz

#5: Post by pjrjazz »

Stefano,

Any tips for a pre-1982 machine with the one-piece sightglass cover? Mine is leaking pretty badly and I haven't had any luck removing it.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

jeffg2020 wrote:I'm having trouble finding this tool. Any chance you can post a pic of a C-clip pliers?
Search on circlip pliers.
Dan Kehn

#7: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) »

Problem is this brings up pics of different styles of pliers. The names are different too, for that matter: circlip, c-clip, ring plier, etc. It would be useful to have a pic of the EXACT tool for this exact task.