Elektra Microcasa a Leva extra spring

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Abnuceals

#1: Post by Abnuceals »

I know this is something that has been debate alot some months ago. But is there any source, at that day, for somebody willing to put an extra spring on its MCAL. I like my MCAL but it seems it could be a little more punchy and it could produce lot more crema than it produces now.
LMWDP 389

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I have tried the booster springs on my pre 1997 MCAL and they work. However if the main spring is weak the shower screen can tend to pop out. That is easily addressed by popping it back in and by keep the portafilter locked in place most of the time. I am about to try the newer spring on my older machine, just to see if that works and corrects the shower screen issue. This was recently suggested in a recent thread with apparent success. You may need some extra gaskets to hold it in place.

Replacement spring for old Elektra Microcasa a Leva
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#3: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Gary something doesn't make sense to me in your statement. How does a weak spring cause the screen to pop out?

Somebody also mentioned recently that he simply purchased a currently offered replacement spring from Elektra for his older '80s machine and it seemed to work.

I too have an extra spring on mine and the results are very good, and I have zero mechanical issues so far using the 2 springs together.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I'm not quite sure how and why. I've been in conversation with Stefano about this. I'm using the standard o-ring portafilter gasket. My piston is properly turned into the piston shaft. According to Stefano the piston shaft can sit low in the group when the main spring is weakened. I'm guessing the main spring doesn't hold the piston in place. The booster spring isn't engaged until the pull because it's shorter than the main spring. The photo below shows the piston shaft riding low in the group with a weak main spring. It should be flush with the top of the group. I'll post more on this soon.

Gary
LMWDP#308

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#5: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

hmmm-I think:
-maybe your yoke is on backwards? That could cause the whole piston to sit incorrectly

-or, have you looked at the bore on the shaft lately? Could it be becoming an out of round slot rather a perfectly round hole?

Try flipping your yoke over; you'll be able to inspect the bore hole at the same time. I'd put money the yoke if I weres a bettin' man..
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

stefano65
Sponsor

#6: Post by stefano65 »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote:hmmm-I think:
-maybe your yoke is on backwards? That could cause the whole piston to sit incorrectly
Tom what do you mean by Yoke?
if you are referring to the shaft it is NOT like a Pavoni shaft ( even though in the pavoni one end is tapered and one is not) that has threads in both ends

to confirm my statement (which is also what elektra tech in Italy agrees)with Gary:
when the old spring are compressed by age and usage and do not return to the original height,
the shaft sits lower on the top plate (see example picture) is a common indication that the spring is bad,
in some cases you can still get some ok shots out of it,
in some cases not
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Carneiro

#7: Post by Carneiro »

I'm really not doubting you guys, but I can't understand the relation with the spring! :oops: I could understand the lever, at the place it rubs the top plate, getting worn out, so the pin would be lower hence the piston rod at a lower position...

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote:hmmm-I think:

-or, have you looked at the bore on the shaft lately? Could it be becoming an out of round slot rather a perfectly round hole?

Try flipping your yoke over; you'll be able to inspect the bore hole at the same time. I'd put money the yoke if I weres a bettin' man..
Not an out of round slot. I would love to discover I've assembled it wrong so flipping something over would be great. Like Stefano, what's the yoke?

And I don't understood this either. All I know is the piston rod looks low and the shower screen tends to fall out (only a minor inconvenience if I keep my eye on it and keep the portafilter engaged most of the time) and my old spring is weak (no comments from the peanut gallery, please). I'm glad for the booster springs so the shots are still fine. :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#9: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Yoke= fork. The piece the lever handle screws into.
Curious issue for sure
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

The yoke is very symmetrical, if I recall, certainly not asymmetrical enough to cause this problem consistently, and I've loosened and reattached the fork numerous times changing out different combinations of booster springs. The shower screen issue doesn't change when I do this.
Gary
LMWDP#308