Elektra Elektra Microcasa a Leva leaking when warming up

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gabeincal

#1: Post by gabeincal »

Hi

My couple months old Elektra Microcasa a Leva started leaking through the group head when warming up (basically the water is just showering through the grouphead, though the lever is not pressed down). It seems occasional and is not related whether there is an old puck, a new puck, or no portafilter in the head at all, and it just leaks and leaks water until I make a coffee, then it stops(easily fills the small water tray below and then overflows which is a problem on its own). I can have it serviced within warranty but would have to pay for shipping which I'm not keen on (also to risk the machine while shipping). Any pointers, ideas, thoughts? I would imagine this is not normal but whether it is a grouphead issue, a simple seal, etc would be nice to know as I might just decide to service it myself.

Thanks a lot
Gabe

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Since you have a new machine under warranty a call to the seller's service department might give you troubleshooting tips and perhaps a free shipment of replacement seals you could install, if that's the issue.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
gabeincal (original poster)

#3: Post by gabeincal (original poster) »

Thanks, will definitely give them a call today to see what they say. It's from 1st in coffee in NJ.

ddsg

#4: Post by ddsg »

I had an older Mcal that leaked a bit from the grouphead when the the piston o-rings weren't properly lubricated. It may be a simple question of greasing the o-rings, but since the machine is still under warranty I'd go that way first.

gabeincal (original poster)

#5: Post by gabeincal (original poster) »

Just out of curiosity what type of grease would you use for the piston o-rings?

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Ask your vendor. Usually DOW 111 works or another food-safe silicone lubricant, but on some piston gaskets (they aren't o-rings), such products can cause degradation.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!