Ebay Aurora Europa: Who got it?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jonny
Equipment: Virtuoso and V60, Santoker Revolution 500, '83 Pasquini Livietta, '67 Conti Princess
Interests: besides coffee? my wife, antique machinery, baking, fermentation, fishing, foraging, hiking...

Postby jonny » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 pm

After scoring my Conti Princess at a nice price, I was just about to whine when I saw this Aurora Europa "for parts or not working" up on ebay starting at $99. I decided to watch it just to see what would happen, kind of hoping it would go high as to quench my craving. Well, apparently the condition status didn't scare anyone off since 29 bids later it sold for $787. Alright, time to 'fess up! Who got it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...0808179570

benhogan
Equipment: Cremina, Mazz SJ and miniE, Vario, Pav euroP, hand grindrs, OE funnel, NHL hockey puck

Postby benhogan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 pm

I was part of the 29 :cry:

our caffeinated commitment to you
craigcharity
Equipment: HG-One, Cimbali Junior, Arrarex Caravel, Baby Faema
Interests: Rebuilding and modding stuff

Postby craigcharity » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I get sad sometimes that I don't live in a country with some nice old machines:(

chadz
Equipment: Bezzera Strega, Ponte Vecchio Lusso, Baratza Vario

Postby chadz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 pm

After months of watching ebay for an Aurora I must admit I didn't win it ;(

orphanespresso
Sponsor
Equipment: Commercial and Home Levers.... keeps me busier than a one armed paperhanger.
Interests: Architecture & Design

Postby orphanespresso » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 am

Aurora machines..all in house made, almost a custom machine....plumbed in HX..extremely small footprint...original seventies orange and only missing a portafilter and baskets?????? Somebody really made a score on that one...bargain of the year if you axe me!

doubleOsoul
Equipment: '58 Urania,Duchessa,Cremina,Belle Epoque,MCals, T1,Caravels, Mia, Vesub. Mona,Mazzer,PeDe, KAPro
Interests: Keepin' my blues funky Vintage Levers blaxploitation

Postby doubleOsoul » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 am

I was on the train back to the great white north. Missed it too...
OO
Ways to win my heart:buy me coffee, make me coffee, be coffee

orphanespresso
Sponsor
Equipment: Commercial and Home Levers.... keeps me busier than a one armed paperhanger.

Postby orphanespresso » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:37 am

I gotta say, you guys are holding your cards pretty close to your vests these days...didn't even MENTION that Aurora and were all watching it :lol: . I bet nobody mentions the Astoria with the hotel group either, eh?

coffee & espresso equipment and accessories
allon
Equipment: Faema C85, CMA Lever, SJ, Lido, Pharos, KYM, Skerton, PIDed iRoast2, Brazen, CCD

Postby allon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:04 am

I believe that in general, the usual procedure on HB has been to stay mum on eBay auctions until they're over. But thanks for telling me it's called a Hotel Group. Can you explain how it's used?
LMWDP #331

orphanespresso
Sponsor

Postby orphanespresso » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:16 am

I have a Gaggia with this big brewer group and the valves etc all look the same. This Astoria is quite modern for such a group and still it seems the same as the very old ones. It is my assumption that one opens the top and spoons in coffee grounds and then opens one valve to allow boiler water to enter the chamber, then decant through one of the lower valves. there is also what appears to be a wand on the bottom as well and this one is a mystery. I don't think anyone has actually used one of these enough to analyze the worthiness of the contraption, but is is very cool looking and it attached to a flange on the boiler just the same way as a regular group.
My Gaggia with this group is in a box so I cannot do more than theorize about it at present...

DrDregs
Equipment: E61 2 group / Elektra Leva / A3 / Cremina / Jolly / HG One

Postby DrDregs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 am

I want that "Europa" badge for mine.. :mrgreen:
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."