Easy maintenance of lever espresso machines

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Enjoy going back and reading old posts on HB during these slow snowy winter days, particularly maintenance of different machines.
Ran across some posts this morning re how easy to maintain 'high end' machines in general and thought 25StrokeBloke best summed up how I feel also here:
2StrokeBloke wrote:For example, if you purchased an older used Olympia Cremina (or even a new one), you'd be looking at prying off the dispersion screen every month or so and cleaning it. (5 minute job)
You'd be changing the group gasket (portafilter gasket) once a year (15 minute job if done once a year before it gets severely hard and brittle)
If anything leaks, you're looking at a half days work to dissemble, remove, replace gaskets on the piston and reassemble. Descale the boiler? Nothing simpler. There are so many threads here detailing how to do each of those tasks you can't go wrong.
Really look forward with enjoyment to replacing the group gaskets on my Cremina when they arrive from OE in a few days. Maintenance on my La Spaziale is much more boring since it is but a few years old. That reminds me, have to start looking around for some very used machines that need rebuilding. DrGary has me hyped at how easy yet rewarding that would be!

grog

#2: Post by grog »

I can confirm that refurbishing machines is addicting. I've found that each overhaul makes me want to try something more challenging than the last. I suppose this is one way to end up with a vintage commercial lever...
LMWDP #514