Dow Corning 111 versus Amsoil Xtreme food grade grease

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#1: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Any ideas or knowledge of Dow vs. Amsoil? I know Dow is silicone while Amsoil is "aluminum complex." But that doesn't really mean anything to me. And there is much talk about Dow, but Amsoil is much less expensive than and it is described as non-toxic and USDA approved as well....

????????

Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote:And there is much talk about Dow, but Amsoil is much less expensive...
Expensive? Stefano's Espressocare sells enough Dow Corning 111 to lubricate a lever espresso machine for years that only costs $3 a tube.
Dan Kehn

mhoy

#3: Post by mhoy replying to HB »

Chuckle, I made the mistake of ordering the Dow 111 150 gr tube. I have enough for the rest of my life and I can pass it down to my kids. :shock: A little goes a long ways.

Mark

Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster)

#4: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

HB wrote:Expensive? Stefano's Espressocare sells enough Dow Corning 111 to lubricate a lever espresso machine for years that only costs $3 a tube.
Yes expensive- Amsoil 14 ounce/ 397 gram tube=$8.00. An equal amount of Dow in 6g tubes would be around, hmm, $200, or $30 for 2- 150 gram tubes.

But cost figures aside, I was looking for more of a performance-based view regarding the silicone vs. the synthetic aluminum complex.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

timo888

#5: Post by timo888 »

"USDA H-1 rated for incidental contact with food" ain't NSF-61. There's plenty of information on this website about the difference.

CRCasey

#6: Post by CRCasey »

Just for reference, Grainger here in the US carries DOW 111 in the 150g tube for about $8.00 on the shelf, no order.

Your tax may vary. I was thinking that the 150g tube might be a lifetime supply.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster)

#7: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

The knowledge that people on this site have still amazes me..............
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

mhoy

#8: Post by mhoy replying to Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Have you seen the electron microscope analysis of the grind from the espresso grinders yet.... :shock:

Mark

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#9: Post by orphanespresso »

You have your Ford men and your GM men and I personally am a Dow 111 man...haven't used the Amsoil but those little packets of Dow give a good controlled dispensing of the lube....I think that over lube is just a good way to load up the lip seals on the piston. I have used 4 packets in a year having rebuilt approximately 30 machines. I just wish I knew a good way to get it washed off my fingers.....GoJo hand cleaner doesn't even touch it. I think if I had a 150 gram tube I might be inclined to overdo it. Dow 111, a little dab will do ya.

timo888

#10: Post by timo888 »

orphanespresso wrote:I just wish I knew a good way to get it washed off my fingers...
When I was in the emergency room recently (son rolled ankle at soccer game) I helped myself to a pair of these powder-free aloe-lined non-latex beauties: