Does anyone know the SAMA company history and timeline?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeMan9000

#1: Post by CoffeeMan9000 »

Well, a few days ago I got a "new" 20+ year old SAMA Export on an auction site. I just won another, as I figured it could be a good parts source. Francesco Ceccarelli puts the SAMA production "in the 70s". It seems unlikely that I got two "new" 35+ year old machines in the span of 10 days, but it is possible of course.

Any SAMA experts willing to chime in?

TIA

John

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Ponte Vecchio took over production of the old Sama Export and Sama Lussos, they are now Ponte Vecchio Export and Ponte Vecchio Lussos.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

CoffeeMan9000 (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeMan9000 (original poster) replying to dominico »

Yes - thank you. I am more interested in the production history and timeline of SAMA, as both of my machines predate the 1999 restart of production by Ponte Vecchio.

grog

#4: Post by grog »

Not an expert, but I know Sama became Dampa sometime in the late 70s / early 80s. Both of yours look like pristine examples from the 70s. The brown one may be older based on the portafilter. The very early Samas have two seals on the piston instead of three (they use a 'w' seal instead of two u-cups) and have a finer thread pitch on the steam tap. When you service the groups, you'll of course see the seal config and that will give some insight as to early vs mid to late 70s. The heating element may also have a date stamp.
LMWDP #514

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Edit, did initially not see you already found Francesco's info....did you contact him already?
LMWDP #483

#6: Post by CoffeeMan9000 (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I have not - I will send him an email -great idea.

#7: Post by CoffeeMan9000 (original poster) »

grog wrote:Not an expert, but I know Sama became Dampa sometime in the late 70s / early 80s. Both of yours look like pristine examples from the 70s. The brown one may be older based on the portafilter. The very early Samas have two seals on the piston instead of three (they use a 'w' seal instead of two u-cups) and have a finer thread pitch on the steam tap. When you service the groups, you'll of course see the seal config and that will give some insight as to early vs mid to late 70s. The heating element may also have a date stamp.
Thanks Grog.

I suppose I should post pics of the brown SAMA, as it will otherwise disappear on the auction site...

SJM

#8: Post by SJM »

Joe Kittay at The Good Coffee Company in Seattle knows.

Good Coffee Co
818 Post Ave Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 622-5602

peacecup

#9: Post by peacecup »

That is a nice one. The steam wand looks to be set a little in the upward position. If you losen the nut that holds it in place you can rotate it down a little. Don't overtighten the connection as it is a brass fitting.

Use caution when you start it up for the first time to be sure the Pstat is functioning properly so the it does not exceed the pressure limits.

I love my Samas,

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."