Different pressurestat on 2013 La Pavoni Europiccola?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Acside

#1: Post by Acside »

I just received my 2013 europiccola. So far it has been making excellent shots. I tend to modify the things i own and considered adding a pid as others on this forum have. Upon inspecting my new machine I see that it has an updated pstat that I have not seen anyone mention. Does anyone know anything about this thing? Would adding a pid be a waste of time, maybe the new pstat has better temp control than previous models? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

mathof

#2: Post by mathof »

I noted the new pstat's existence in this post:

New/old pressurestat for La Pavoni

I see in your photo that the connecting pipe to the boiler has been bent in such a way as to allow easy access for adjustment. That's a big change from the days of glueing the adjustment ring in place.

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Acside wrote:Would adding a pid be a waste of time, maybe the new pstat has better temp control than previous models? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Yes, it would be a waste of time. The boiler temperature isn't the key with the Europiccola. Group temp is more important. Adding a group thermometer is easy. For my Millennium LP I've found it very workable to have the PSTAT set at 0.85 bar, which gives good but not great steaming. With half pumps and watching a group thermometer I can introduce steam into the group and get it to the exact starting temperature I want for that particular coffee. Letting the portafilter cool between shots or dipping it in water for closely consecutive shots keeps group temperature completely under control. I've got a Teflon gasket installed between the group and the boiler for somewhat more stability but before installing that cooling of the PF was also sufficient. BTW that looks like the Mater PSTAT that comes with a new Olympia Express Cremina, where temperature control is achieved similarly.

Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola

La Pavoni Millennium Owners, Are Temperature Problems Solved?

Creating Teflon Gasket for Pre-Millennium La Pavoni
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Acside (original poster)

#4: Post by Acside (original poster) »

thank you for the replies. I am going to figure out a good setup for taking group temperature.