Descaling a Cimbali M20 lever boiler

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bgn

#1: Post by bgn »

I've used this thing for years and really enjoy it. Could another owner who has descaled the boiler on their Cimbali lever help me where to begin and what product to use. I've done a few searches and can't find basic procedure for doing this. It has a boiler drain just above the drip tray, which I have used to drain the water out a few times, but I've never tried filling the boiler with acid, if that is what is to be done. I'll try post a pic of my M20, but have never had success in trying to post pics to this site in the past. Thanks,
Barry.

bgn (original poster)

#2: Post by bgn (original poster) »

Here's the pic.

bgn (original poster)

#3: Post by bgn (original poster) »

Another try at a pic.

grog

#4: Post by grog »

I would get a flashlight and try to inspect the boiler to see how much scale buildup there is. If not too much, you can use a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. Cycle it through full pressure to fully cold a couple of times and then rinse out the boiler thoroughly several times to make sure all of the vinegar is out.

If there is a lot of scale - and we've seen some photos on here of amazing amounts of scale inside commercial levers - you might need to consider removing the side plate of the boiler where the heating element goes in and removing the larger deposits by hand prior to the vinegar descale.
LMWDP #514

bgn (original poster)

#5: Post by bgn (original poster) »

Thanks for that info. I have a friend with an Anita e63 machine and he's often running muriatic acid through his boiler and pump. I'll try the vinegar. Thanks again for the reply.