Conti Prestina (Red) - restoration project

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
espressoclub FC+

#1: Post by espressoclub FC+ »

[this is my first post on HB!]

I recently acquiered two Conti Prestinas. One Red, the other Brown.
I really like the Prestina a lot... so I am happy! ... but ... both have (lots of) 'issues'.

I stumbled through a lot of threads already (see below) that deal with restoring a Conti Prestina / conti lever group...and that helped me to build enough knowledge (and confidence!) to start - and hopefully finish - both projects. In addition to the information already available, I'll start these threads both for feedback and fun!

But first things first, here they are:

RED

BROWN

This is what I read already...
Background Information:
Of course:
- Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed)
But also:
- Repurposing a conti commercial lever
- Conti Prestina, The Netherlands
- Finished Conti Prestina
- A Conti-diction
- Help with Conti Prestina boiler removal
- Conti Monaco Restoration
- Conti Rebuild
- more will be added... (suggestions are welcome)

First steps...
As the Prestina-group is the same as the one in Conti's current lever-model the 'PMS Evolution', I already orderded the most obvious parts from the Conti-website: http://www.conti-spareparts.com/Site/index.php. (Actually Conti pointed me to their Dutch importer and that will hopefully save me some costs of transportation.)

I'll make a separate thread for either one. For both have different issues that should probably be best adressed seperately to make things less confusing. Therefore I will address the issues of either one in a second post...

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

First of all, I claim rights to either the red or the brown if you ever decide to sell one.

Second, enjoy the long-lost Dr Jim's original 2006 Conti Prestina threads:

A Conti-diction

He also introduced us to the Fellini pre-infusion. Good times gone by.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Ismael:

Welcome to the Prestina club! Most people have a hard time finding one. How did you score two of these great machines?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

espressoclub FC+ (original poster)

#4: Post by espressoclub FC+ (original poster) »

Some pictures:

#5: Post by espressoclub FC+ (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:First of all, I claim rights to either the red or the brown if you ever decide to sell one.
:) ... At the moment ... I cannot imagine selling either one ... and moreover, maybe both have some issues that cannot be resolved, i just do not know that yet... maybe within a few posts you're not that keen on both anymore ;)
Second, enjoy the long-lost Dr Jim's original 2006 Conti Prestina threads:

A Conti-diction
Thanks!

#6: Post by espressoclub FC+ (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Ismael:

Welcome to the Prestina club! Most people have a hard time finding one. How did you score two of these great machines?
Is there a club?! ;)... I'm in! ... I don't know .. nothing special ... ebay and the like... I was looking for them fanatically I guess :)

#7: Post by espressoclub FC+ (original poster) »

Ok, these are the most pressing issues of 'red Prestina'

Boiler halves stuck due to leaking waterlevel-meter
Some bolts in this area are stuck. I think with this I'll have to follow the same path as in "Gary's project":
Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed). ... I already used lots of penetrating oil and patience, but that surely didn't help, so i'll probably end up using a rotary tool to separate both halves...

The bolts that connect the water-level meter to the boiler are also stuck and so worn that the appropriete tool slips away. My best idea is to grind a split it the nut so it can be turned with a screwdriver...

New gasket for between the boiler parts
From Gary's project I learned that a Conti-gasket possibly can be optained through "Allen brothers" http://www.allannbroscoffee.com/. I haven't contacted them yet. I am still hoping to find a more local resource. I also asked Francesco Cessarelli http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/ricambi_eng.htm, who says he possible could get the gasket custom made. Another approach would be to make it myself (as described in Gary's post: Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed)

Current gasket (black)

The current lever model of Conti is a dual goup with a bigger boiler. This boiler is longer, but maybe the boiler diameter could be the same? See below the ' exploded view of the boiler of a Conti PMS Evolution 2 group (See: http://www.conti-spareparts.com/Site/index.php). It is part '207600'.

Broken spring
Picture below says it all. Spring is broken. I already ordered a new spring from Conti, but I read somewhere (I'll add a source if I can find it again) that the current Conti-spring is too weak. Could that be true? I have ordered one already, but I am also thinking about making a custom one based on the specifictions of the old one.

If anybody has some ideas, answers, resources or any other ideas I would be very thankfull. (Hopefully I'll gain some experience in these projects in the following months and that sometime I will be able to help others...)

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

The group gasket is the same as would be used for that group on any current Conti machine. It should be readily available. The spring is also an inexpensive, stock product. Unless you want a stronger spring there's no reason to have one custom made.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!