Conti Prestina, The Netherlands

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
turboyeast

#1: Post by turboyeast »

Dear all,
I have been lucky enough to have found a Dutch edition (Bravilor) of the Conti prestina (in a arguable state). At present the machine is stored, because I am too occupied with my Cimbali M15 project. However, I just can't put the Conti (Bravilor) out of my head, since I do not understand a number of things related to the operation of the machine. Taking Gary's advice, I posting here some pics in the hope anybody can shed some light on the matter.

First, why does the machine have both a manual water feed (front left) in addition to (seemingly) a automated boiler fill?

Rebranded Bravilor Conti prestina.

Made in Holland.

Manual water feed, front left. I do not understand the function of the right knob (on/off)?

Boiler level rod? Must be...

Magnet valve controlling water feed to boiler? Why, if there already a manual feed?

French Gicar box??

Vacuum breaker?

Many thanks in advance, TY

soonerspresso

#2: Post by soonerspresso »

I don't know your Bravilor (nee Conti), so, I'm only speculating, but ... My La San Marco has both an autofill AND a manual water feed, too. My understanding is that this is a safety mechanism in case the autofill fails (to prevent running your boiler dry). This would make much more sense on your machine since you have a sight glass to see where your water lever is at (at least, I think that that is what I can see on the front, right side of the faceplate ...) -- if the autofill fails, you can see your water level is low and manually fill it. On my machine, it makes less sense since I don't even have a sight glass to see my water level and I would still have to rely on the electronic water level sensor ... (in the incomparable words of Homer J. Simpson: D'Oh!).

However, this is just a guess. I'll leave it to the more knowledgable folks on H-B to confirm or deny this!

Cheers!

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Hello Ty,

The autofill is probably a modification. All of the other Conti Prestinas I've seen have a manual fill. Looking at your photos, it appears that a power switch has also been added. The standard Prestina doesn't have that, although I added one to mine. You asked me offline about whether it has a pressure switch (PSTAT). Once you remove the case you should find it suspended below the boiler. If you are looking at the machine head on it would be on the left. Your last photo seems to show a vacuum breaker valve so the machine can fully heat up when started instead of having to bleed off an air pocket.

Also these machines are very simple and rugged. Yours looks completely restorable. You would need to disassemble it, deal with the rust and clean up all of the parts, and install new seals. All of the group parts and seals are available because Conti still makes that group for its levers today. It looks like a complete machine except for maybe a missing portafilter. That would also be available today from Conti. My restoration thread shows all of these things disassembled and revised. I have indexed the topics on that thread so they can be easily accessed.

Conti Prestina Espresso Machine Restoration 101 (Completed and Indexed)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

turboyeast (original poster)

#4: Post by turboyeast (original poster) »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the quick replies. In response:
soonerspresso wrote:My La San Marco has both an autofill AND a manual water feed, too. My understanding is that this is a safety mechanism in case the autofill fails (to prevent running your boiler dry).
Makes sense, but it seems that the magnet valve is behind the manual water feed. In other words, the automatic water feed will not work because it is overruled by the manual water feed.
drgary wrote:The autofill is probably a modification. All of the other Conti Prestinas I've seen have a manual fill. Looking at your photos, it appears that a power switch has also been added.
I agree. I am speculating that Conti send these machines off to various countries in the EU, amongst the Netherlands. Most probably post-manufacturing mods were carried out to make the machines more attractive for the (local) market. Taking this and abovementioned into consideration, I am speculating that my manual feed has been disarmed. Once I am done with my Cimbali M15, it is seriously time to investigate this thought in more detail.

Keep you posted, TY

ps. Gary, obviously I have read your elaborate thread. Nothing but respect....
ps.2 The portafilters are there, so it seems indeed that the machine is complete.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Hello TY,

I thought you were aware of the thread but I point it out in case people haven't seen it. There is probably no need. Since you mention rebranding here are two examples. This was done by a company named Scharf. It is being restored in Vienna.

http://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/conti ... ion.82588/

Conti supported private branding of their machines beyond Europe. Mine was imported by Thomas E. Cara in San Francisco. He brought in many wonderful machines and there are treasures to be found in attics and garages there. On my Prestina the large Conti badge was removed from the base and replaced with a La Cara sticker. Attractive, no?

Gary
LMWDP#308

#6: Post by turboyeast (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Since you mention rebranding here are two examples. This was done by a company named Scharf. It is being restored in Vienna.
I have seen this restauration. I noticed that it had the same modification (automated water fill etc). In addition, I also saw the cracked sleeve....first thing I checked on my machine.
drgary wrote:Conti supported private branding of their machines beyond Europe. Attractive, no?
You could see it like that. On the other hand, I think that each of these machines tell their own tale. Retrieving and preserving a bit of the story is also part of restoring great machines.

My machine has to remain dorment for the coming 6 months...at least I have given her something to chew on....WD40 on every nut, bolt and screw.

Regards, TY

#7: Post by turboyeast (original poster) »

LS,
I've been giving the double water inlet a bit more thought. Most probably the water inlet has a double role. It has an open feed to the magnet valve (green arrows, the magnet valve stopping the water flow) or a manual stop (blue arrows) which can be opened by shifting the little lever (front left). I guess this mechanism has been put into place in the case electronics fail. There is always an manual override option to feed the boiler with water...clever! What do you think?

Still have to wait to test my hypothesis...
Cheers, TY

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

turboyeast wrote: What do you think?
I am glad mine is nice and simple. There is very little to fail! :lol:

Seriously, I will be interested to see how your fill mechanisms work when you get it restored.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#9: Post by turboyeast (original poster) »

LS,
I have seen that the Conti group comes in two versions: in one piece and out of two pieces. Mine is made in one piece. Does anybody know if this is the older version or the newer version? I have no idea how old the machine is...I think it must be from the nineties taking the electronics into account, but the group seems older.
Anybody?

Cheers, TY

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

The one-piece is older. I am not sure of the year. If it breaks down, and it can by developing a crack, it can be replaced by the new group, which is still being made. Mine was made with the new group in 1991.
Gary
LMWDP#308