Coffee Suggestions for the Londinium

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mgwolf »

I've seen the graphs, I've followed the paths of thermosyphons, I've seen [anonymized] pull 13 shots in less than 20 minutes. But I'm curious what coffees seem to shine with the L1. My previous experience with the Cremina has taught me that some coffees are much better suited to levers and others not so.

All you L1 owners -- any recommendations for coffees you've tried that really take to being pulled on the L1 lever? Any that didn't fare so well on the lever?

mathof

#2: Post by mathof »

I've had pretty good results using Londinium's own coffees on my La Pavoni.

Miami_AJ

#3: Post by Miami_AJ »

Good thread! I've been thinking about the same....

So far....

Good:
Paradise Roaster Espresso Classico
Redbird Blue Jaguar

OK:
Paradise Roaster Espresso Nuevo
Paradise Roaster SO India Sitara (100% robusta)

Mediocre:
Redbird (one of the first coffee I tried, so maybe skills issue)

So Redbird coffees flipped, I couldn't get good results with Blue Jagguar on my Hx, and had good results with Redbird espresso.

Note...Paradise Classico and Blue JAguar are medium roast blends

Kfir

#4: Post by Kfir »

I roast my own coffee but I can tell you that dark roasted coffees does not go well with the L1.

Look for medium roasted blends, I love to drink african coffees (mostly SO)...

Kfir.

RoloD

#5: Post by RoloD »

Yes, after trying many other UK roasters I've come back to Londinium's own blends. The Malawi Pamwamba AA is particularly good - deep, rich, funky, complex. Londinium roast darker than 'third wave' roasters like Square Mile and HasBean but nowhere near as dark as traditional Italian-style roasters; this also seems to be the sweet-spot for the Londinium machine. All their beans are low-acidity and they specifically for espresso (I never drink milk drinks) and, of course, lever machines in particular. Their Rwanda, Koakaka, red bourbon is pretty good too.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

The Londinium Brazil Bourbon is good as is Victrola Roasters (Seattle) Guatemalan for straight espresso. A very bright floral note, good stuff.

For milk drinks I have been using Cafe' Vita's (Seattle roaster) Queen City Blend.

#23 Sweet Marias home roast is also pretty darn good.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

Anyone tried the Vivace blends? Klatch?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by FotonDrv replying to mgwolf »

I tried Vivace Dolce and did not care for it although my wife who drinks milk drinks does like it.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

spaz2

#9: Post by spaz2 »

I'm currently using Paradise's Maui Mokka and Red Bird's blue Jaguar.
Dosing 15.6~16 grams for a 25 gram double in the stock basket.

tom

spressomon

#10: Post by spressomon »

Just opened the second bag of Bolivia Colonia Bolinda Primavera Caranavi from Reiss and I'm really liking it! That took so much keyboard activity I think I need another 'spresso :D

15.8-16 grams @ 15-20 seconds PI and 20-25 fluid weight does it for me.

I have to say deviating from one type of bean/old standby with the old machine was not fun. But the LI is so versatile in comparison I've found myself trying many different beans...just because I can. Fun and good.
No Espresso = Depresso